Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

SERIAL ATA DISKS ARE A REALITY NOW: A FIRST HERE...

Good review by tom smile

Basically its not much faster, obviously limited by the drives themselves now, as ata100/133 give almost 0 speed increase.

Ill be glad to finally be rid of those stupid IDE ribbon cables though, but i think ill just get an IDE/SATA adaptor for my drives for the time being smile

Well i cant exactly say that Toms is my favorite hardware site on the web but i can give him credit for a good review when he does one smile

I can see the point in the future 300mb standards but 600mb!!! The drives just need to get faster not the actual interface :x

Someone really needs to invent a decent drive with no spinny platters or moving parts though, i mean imagine the speed and reliability of a drive which kept everything in memory laugh

Very nice laugh but id want some storage in many GBs and not just 100s of MB or a few GB at most frown

I dont have very good luck with HDDs (5 dead in 4 years) frown so the sooner they sort out RAM type drives the happier ill be laugh

Yep, I can see my home system now....

File Server (Game images/DVD movies/Backup)

2 80gb SATA drives in RAID 1

5 200GB HD's in RAID 5

5 200GB HD's in RAID 5

That's 2 Tera! 2 TERA!!!!!!!!!!!

laughlaughlaughlaugh

Take that MPAA/RIAA! laugh

That was good, like Tom used to be. Some of his articles have been biased and/or full of BS, but that laid it out like it is. He explained how SATA is still limited by the drives themselves and how the PCI bus comes into play here.

Thing is that i dont think ive actually seen Tom write an article for tomshardware in ages laugh

i think this is a great step forward in hard drive technology. Im glad to see this.