Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
lager_brains

Disabling "Restore Network Connections" startup di

Hi,

I have a network of 3 pcs all using W2K and they each share various partitions.

I don't always have all three pcs on all of the time, most often I'll have just one on, so when I start that pc up when it is going through the start up and getting through to W2K it of course complains that it cannot connect to the shared partitions on the other machines (because they are switched off). It then asks me if I'd like to "restore network connections" or not.

This is one seriously annoying message because as far as I'm concerned, it should connect to these drives if it can and not connect to them if it can't, there isn't another choice as far as I'm concerned. It shouldn't wait for me to tell it to 'ignore' or to try again.

This is irritating because I'd like to switch on my machine and let the machine get to the desktop whilst I'm not present, I don't want to return to the machine after 30minutes from switching it on to find that it hasn't even logged in and is waiting for a reponse from me to proceed.

Any ideas ??

Oh, and I don't want to disconnect the network drive and map it every time I need access.

Turn on all PCs. Disconnect every network drive from Windows Explorer. Put a batch file on startup folder of every PC using NET USE command (use this command to create network drives for you).

Do NET USE /HELP to understand how it will work.

Example: NET USE Z: \\COMPNAME\SHARENAME

You can use /NO or /YES switches too (and others).

start

run

net use /help

gives me this error

net is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Quote:
Turn on all PCs. Disconnect every network drive from Windows Explorer. Put a batch file on startup folder of every PC using NET USE command (use this command to create network drives for you).

Do NET USE /HELP to understand how it will work.

Example: NET USE Z: \\COMPNAME\SHARENAME

You can use /NO or /YES switches too (and others).

Hi Etrigan,

When you say put a batch file in startup folder, is that the same place where the autoexec.bat (in my case c smile ?? BTW, I tried this and nothing happened, what are the switches for ??

Thanks.

Just a rumor I have heard, when using the "Map-Network-Drive"-Wizard (Explorer -> Tools -> Map Network Drives...)

If you hold down the SHIFT-Key when you press the "Finish"/"Ok" button, then it will not annoy you if it cannot map the drive at bootup.

Network share connections established are either persistent or ghosted. Persistent connections are reconnected at relogon. Setting to ghosted connections should do the trick on Windows 2000!!

Here is the registry info:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Key: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider

Name: RestoreConnection

Type: REG_DWORD

Value: 0 ghost connection

Value: 1 persistent

Regards, Mike

http://www.voormedia.com/

This does not exist in the registry?!

Do you mean to create the entry with those values?

thanks

Correct.

Adding those keys to your workstation should suppress that message. This is generally used in optimizing metaframe servers. But hey if it works for you, give it a whirl.