Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandstorm

W2000 on a Pentium 200

Right now I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro running Windows 95 and I want to upgrade it to 2000. How do you think W2000 could run on a Pentium 200 MHz computer with 64 megs of RAM? Will be really slow or liveable?

On older machines the mor ram the better. Upgrade to at least 128mb.. At 64mb it *should* be faster than 98 but it depends on the user.

Go to the Toshiba support page and make sure that you download and then flash the latest bios for your machine. Your present bios will probably not support W2K.

Yeah... as long as you upgrade the RAM, you should be fine. I have it installed on a P100 with 256MB RAM, slow as hell but works fine. smile

Cheers

I had a P200MMX, with 128MB ram and a 7.200 rpm hard disk. Boot time is 40s, after A LOT of SP, hot-fixes and config editing. It need this, configuration, but more 64MB ram at least, will be better.

Oh, and BTW, it´s not slow at all...

[ ]´s

I've had Win2k Server running on an Armada (120; 80 Megs RAM 2 Gigs disk). It could run DNS services, Wins and was the DHCP server for the LAN. Useless for anything other than MSCE study, but it did work, quite impressivly actually.

2K Pro will run fine, assuming you don't plan to thrash your machine, just expect a long install and boot processes, I use mine for study, mostly just reading whitepapers and writing letters in Word.