Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandstorm

Problem with Application Compat Toolkit 2.5

Now that SP3 has come out for W2000, I decided to install the newer application compat toolkit (2.5) but however when I try to install it, it says that this program needs a 32-bit version of Windows. I thought that all Windows since Win 95 were 32-bit, especially Win2000. Does anyone know whats going on???

just to say...i downloaded and installed the comapp 2.5 program with no problems. (Yes, i installed SP3).

Do i understand it? That's a different question wink

i'm a bit worried after some investigation. I don't think app compatibility has changed much at all.

I still have only the 130 fixes available (vs the 199 or so in XP)

and on the MS web site, we are told that sp3 fixes the following compatibility issues:

List of Application Compatibility Fixes in Microsoft Windows 2000 SP3

List of Application Compatibility Fixes in Microsoft Windows 2000 SP3

DOS Command Line Is Missing the First Character (Q257404)

MS-DOS programs that use command-line arguments may work improperly and may indicate that they are receiving a command line that is missing the first character.

Access Violation When Repeatedly Opening and Closing Conferences with NetMeeting SDK (Q268755)

When you use the Microsoft NetMeeting Software Development Kit (SDK) with NetMeeting 3.01 to write a NetMeeting program that repeatedly opens and closes conferences, an access violation may occur in Conf.exe. For additional information, click the...

16-bit Programs that Call to GlobalAlloc for Large Memory Allocations Cause Programs to Hang (Q288165)

16-bit programs that use the GlobalAlloc() API call for multiple large (1.5 to 8 megabyte) memory allocations in succession can cause programs to stop responding (hang).

A File Size Adjustment Request by an Old MS-DOS-Based Program May Not Be Honored (Q291105)

A file size adjustment request by an old MS-DOS-based program may not be honored. This problem only occurs in "int 21h function 28h" (random block write to FCB file) when CX is set to 0.

Greek Keyboard Has Incorrect Mapping for MS-DOS-Based Programs (Q291326)

If you are using the Greek system locale with the Greek standard and Latin keyboard, and you use MS-DOS-based programs, some of the keys may not work correctly.

OL2000: Error Message: "Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors ..." When You Search for Files or Folders (Q291343)

When click Search on the Start menu to search for files or folders or you right-click the Microsoft Outlook 2000 icon on your desktop, and then click Properties, you may receive the following error message: Explorer.exe has generated errors and will...

User Data Sent from NetMeeting 2.x Causes Problems in NetMeeting 3 (Q299913)

Unexpected user data sent from NetMeeting 2.11 causes an access violation in NetMeeting 3.0.

The NTVDM CommsAutoClose Setting Does Not Work in Windows 2000 (Q301183)

The Windows NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) CommsAutoClose setting does not work in Windows 2000.

EMS Setting in PIF May Cause Incorrect Config.nt File to Be Used (Q301427)

You may receive the following error message after you modify the custom configuration settings for an MS-DOS-based or 16-bit Windows-based program: %SystemRoot%\System32\Config.Nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and MS Windows...

Number Lock Status Is Not Synchronized in a Terminal Services Session When You Run an MS-DOS Program (Q303920)

When you are running an MS-DOS-based program in a Terminal Services client session, the number lock status in the session may not be synchronized with the actual number lock status indicator on the keyboard.

Windows Media Services Returns Real IP Address to Telnet GET Request (Q306610)

When you issue a GET request to a computer running Windows Media Services that has been configured to stream over HTTP, it may respond with the server's IP address.

Unable to Install SBS 4.5 Copy of Exchange Server 5.5 on a Computer That Runs SBS 2000 and Windows 2000 SP2 (Q309484)

When you need to perform disaster recovery of the Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 databases, you may receive the following error message while you are trying to install a copy of Exchange Server 5.5 from BackOffice Small Business Server 4.5: While...

this is a very short list. Plus the compatibility database seems unchanged.

I sure hope i am wrong on this cause i have patiently waited almost a year for some fixes. frown

The compatibility database is unchanged as far as list of API fixes. As far as APP fixes I see no diff. The main .sdb is considerably smaller which leads me to believe that MS is actually dropping support for applications from their compatibility database in 2K but this is just conjecture so far. I'm going to do a compare between SP1/2/3 and the App Compat Releases to see if MS is dropping support. Hopefully they are not.

If they are then that's another thing I can add to my linux list.

But why would it think my Windows isnt running at 32-bit??? Are there any settings where I could see at how many bits it really is at?

sry no idea..seems unique to your setup.

to find out what was supported in the previous sp2/sp1 database go here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/tools/appcompat/default.asp

A rough glance seems to indicate there were a few additions in SP3 --electronic art's 3dsetup, exchange server and windows own explorer --may be more!

Not found anything missing just from randomly checking the odd title.

The funny thing is that I reformatted my computer tonight, installed Win2K and right away installed SP3, and still it won't let me install the Toolkit 2.5 for the same reason that I don't have a 32-bit version of Windows. Go figure...

Hmm I had no idea they came out with version 2.6 of the Application Toolkit. I was able to get it to work with my computer. Anybody else have this version?

hey my first post. :P

btw im having the same issue 'This application requires a PC running a 32-bit version of Windows'. and im on windows 2000 build 2195 SP3.

and from microsoft website, the link to app compat toolkit seems to be removed. weird.

and there are 2 new critical updates..they arent posting much information about it..but my puter rebooted without asking (i have unchecked automatically reboot from) before installing the patches..so i downloaded it and im waiting to see what was fixed. weird weird