Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Immortal

CableModem users: Tried NIC connection vs. USB & diff?

The thing is with some modems that connect thru USB (ADSL is the best example), they use up your CPU cycles, like Soft modems/WINmodems.

Whereas if they are internal PCI/ connect through an NIC card they dont use any (NIC cards have onboard processors, like the some of the office connect's).

The performance loss is minimal/unnoticable for high spec systems,

say a PIII 600 MhZ class system with a USB controller will be below 2% CPU usage, so any CPU over 1 Ghz, Athlon/P4, the performance loss will be negligable!

hope thats helped....

I've got a nic connection here on a cable modem, a friend of mine has a usb connection, on exactly the same service, not 3 blocks from me.

The biggest difference I see, is that when he uses other usb devices the cable modem becomes pretty much entirely useless.

-for example, if he scans a picture, the modem can't send anything over the usb connection, cause all the bandwidth is taken up by the scanner.

Other than that, in a lot of ways it's easier, just like any other usb device, installation is a snap, but I expect you don't worry much about stuff like that.

That's all I can say about it.

its better to use USB 2, and yes its much easier. the bad thing about the bandwidth, so its not that good if you have a lot of USB stuff, I only have a camera and a USB DSL modem! smile

Quote:

(I was thinking maybe that USB use would limit the available bandwidth, USB 1.0 is not 100mbit or better capable, is it?)

* smile

APK

A cable modem only connect to your computer @ 10mbits. - or at least Rogers modems did a year ago.

No your right, it's true cable modem intenet access tends to use 10baseT connections, really most providers tend to set the actual limit somewhat lower than that. So bandwidth really isn't the issue with USB, even with a USB 1.1 device, the speed is around the same, maybe a tiny bit slower, but nothing too noticable.

The concerns with USB network devices for internet access occur when you have to share the USB resources with other devices. Plus the plug is easily pulled out, and that can lead to some silly problems not knowing why you've suddenly lots intenet, but that is inevitabley follows by a firm palm slapping to your forehead, followed by a "DUH!"