Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sda

Building a system ... heavy problem - Asus A7V266E

First of all,

Ive been building system for a while now, im pretty much always building the same stuff (AMD with asus mother boards, maxtor HD etc ...)

The system im building now is pretty much similar to the other one ive build, but the mother board is a newer one that im trying.

The system has :

Motherboard(Asus A7V266E VIA KT266A 3DDR 5PCI 1AGP W/SC ATX Soc)

processor (AMD THUNDERBIRD SOCKET A-1.33G 266MHz)

maxtor 20 gig HD

256 DDR RAM

GeForce II MX400 64 BIT 64MB

PWS ATX 300 wts

This system is pretty much empty, with the minimum. Heres what happend.

When i start the system, the hard drive simply dosen't start, there is power going to it, but its not spining like it should. Get this, I remove the IDE cable, so the hard drive only has the power connected, and when i boot, the harddrive start spining.

I have utility at job, to test HD, and its fine, my ram is fine to, i tested it. Geforce also.

Its gotta be link to processor or board.

Ive been building dozen of system lately, and i simply can't see what ive done wrong. Its a new board, but its still Asus, so i should not have any problems.

Ive been building the A7A a lot, is there a difference in the boards ?

Also, on the processor, there was a little orange sticker on it, im not to sure why, maybe the price was on it or something, i guess i could of removed it, but i diden't

Any1 know if that could be an issue. Also there is no 3.5 drive installed.

Any advice is welcome

thank you

check the cable and check the pins from the mobo

also some ide cables dont have a justifier so make sure it's not on backwards (it's happened before)

Could be a bad IDE cable. Use a old cable and see if you get the same results. Though this should not matter make sure that you have the HDD plugged into IDE 1. How big is the power supply?

Sorry i should of said i tryed with a working IDE cable from a working system.

same result

power suply is 300 wts, and thats what its suposse to be for those boards.

Quote:
power suply is 300 wts, and thats what its suposse to be for those boards.

not so much the wattage but the type of power
correct me if im wrong but i think that amd needs an extra 4pin 12v connector, it's a little square connector... 2 black and 2 yellow

no, thats for intel.

My power supply is not the problem i beleive, its ATX and i have always used those cases to build systems.

Theres is only 1 conector from power supply to mother boards, and thats always been like that since i build amd system with asus mother boards.

So, will the system POST with the drive attached (via IDE cable)? If so, is it visible in the BIOS Setup?

Have you tried changing the positioning of the drive? Try it as slave, master, cable select? Have you tried it on the secondary IDE channel? Is this one of the newer Maxtors? I believe that it should *not* be jumped at all if it is the only IDE device on the channel, because the drives are defined as solitary masters at the factory (I can't swear to that, however, as I use WD drives, only).

Uh...that's all that I can think of. No, wait; have you tried turning the power on, then using the reset switch? Perhaps the drive is responding incorrectly--or too late--to the POST signal, and that's creating a problem with powering up? If it's coming out of "park" too slowly, that might be the problem. Have you tried a different molex plug? Or, a different 12V line from the PSU?

It really can't be the CPU affecting the hard drive; the board, maybe, but only in the sense of one of the IDE headers being bad, or the drive being misjumped or whatever...

Please respond with how this turns out, I'm quite curious...

...I've never seen a problem with the CPU prevent a hard drive from spinning up.

They're not even on the same power line from the PSU.

If there was a problem with the CPU, it'd either (a) be unstable, or (B) the system would not POST, you'd just get beep codes or something.

i literally just had the same exact problem you are having and found almost nothing about it anywhere online!

so because i KNOW how insane this is driving you, and because i know that youve prolly tried just about Everything, im in the process of exchanging out my mobo for a identical mobo. that way at least ill know if i am honestly a moron or if its the board

mine was a BIOSTAR mobo with an AMD 2200+ combo from compgeek.com

ill keep ya posted!

Hey all I had the same promblem for a couple of days and I think I got it. What I did was I left my computer on with the ide cable in the hard drive and the power cord in it to. After a bit if fired up. I unpluged the main power cord to the computer and then it fired up sooner. Werid I guess.

LOL.

you do realize he was having this problem 3 years ago right??

look at the original post date. Hopefully he has solved it by now or maybe that is why we haven't heard from him in a while!

S