Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
akonst

Windows 2000 SP3 causes problem with scsiport.sys driver

I downloaded and installed on my system Windows 2000 SP3 this morning.The installation went fine but on the reboot next i got a BSOD says IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (typical driver problem) with the scsiport.sys driver and of course the system rebooted. I have to say that i have an Asus P2B-DS motherboard with an adapted AIC-7890 U2W on board. The scsi adapter has a cd-r a dvd-rom and a Quantum hard disk connected on it. After some reboots and BSOD i was finally able to get into Windows. The system was stable until i decided to check the Disk managment utility.The BSOD was there again.

I started to get annoyed but then i thought to take the backup scsiport.sys file from the directory that SP3 created in order to be able to uninstall it and overwrite the new file. Yes i know that it does not sound like a clever thing to do but since i have a second operating system (LINUX) i could undone the change if something went wrong.

After the change everything works like a charm. No BSOD at all.I have to say the SP3 gives a slight performance increase and 3 new features.

The automatic update

Utility to set the default apps

On-screen keyboard

Hope this helps some people who may face similar problems until MS repeairs SP3 smile

There's nothing stupid about using a previous driver which is what you did. Looks like MS made some changes that don't work...it's happened many times before. You should email 'em a bug report.

I am having the same problem with the new scsiport.sys driver in SP3. Before loading Windows 2000 SP3 everything worked fine with the old scsiport.sys driver. I backed up my SP2 files so I can roll back to it but I want to use the new SP3 with its bugs fixes and security upgrades!!

It also gives me the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error message before rebooting the PC. Luckly this only occurs once or twice a day at most. For me it sometimes list the scsiport.sys driver as the culprit and other times it list the ultra.sys driver as the culprit. (I have even used the Microsoft debugger to read the dump files mentioned in the event view after the crashes and reboots and the debugger also always lists one of these two files as the culprit.)

The ultra.sys driver is the driver I use for the built in promise PDC 20265R raid controller on my Soyo Dragon Plus KT266a motherboard. There are as of yet no updated drivers from Soyo, Promise, or Microsoft to fix the problems between the scsiport.sys and ultra.sys drivers. Promise admits there is an incompatiability between SP3 and their Ultra100 driver on their webits at:

http://promise.com/support/

download2_eng.asp?mode=download&product_id=18

They suggest loading the driver for the Ultra 100 TX2 might fix the problem although they haven't tested this out to any great extent. I am also not so sure that loading the driver for the Promise PCI Ultra 100 TX2 controller card for my built into the motherboard Promise controller seems like such a great solution. I have my hard drives attached to this controller and definitely need to be able to boot up and use my PC!!!

I might reload the old version of scsiport.sys or load the Ultra 100 TX2 driver if the problem get more frequent or worse, but for now I'll live with this minor annoyance. I'll wait for one of these three companies (Soyo, Promise, or Microsoft) to release a new driver that fixes this incompatibility!

I have a SuperMicro board with an Adaptec AIC-7899 SCSI controller chip on it. I am getting the exact same problem.

I didn't create the "undo" directory when I installed SP3 which leads me to the following questions:

1. Is it possible to extract this file from SP2?

2. What version did you have in your roll back directory?

3. In order to restore a previous scsiport.sys file can I just copy the file over the "new" one? Does windows keep a copy of this file to prevent you from doing this?

Thanks!

Last night I extracted scsiport.sys from the w2ksp2.exe network install service pack, and I can send it to you, if you chose not to back up files for sp3 uninstall. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

If you're concerned, you can rename your current (sp3) scsiport.sys to something like scsiport.sys.sp3 when you copy the old file over. By the way, the file is going in C:\WINNT\System32\Drivers.

Well I renamed scsiport.sys to scsiport.sys.sp3 and copied in the copy from sp2. Win2k immediately copied the sp3 file right back. How do I get around this?

Also can I do this without using the recovery prompt as I really don't want to have to drive into town to do if I don't have to.

Thanks again.

A copy of the file is kept in \Winnt\system32\dllcache

Rename the one in SYSTEM32 and DLLCACHE

I replaced the scsiport.sys file in both places and rebooted. The correct (older) version of scsiport.sys is now install, but I still crash when I try to access the MMC (I broke the RAID array when I rolled back to SP2) so I am able to boot and otherwise the box runs fine. This machine also has a Promise (Comes with Maxtor 133 drives) controller in it. Does anyone know if using the earlier Promise Ultra 100 driver fixes this problem?

Never mind, I just got un-lazy and went to the Promise site.

http://promise.com/support/download2_eng.asp?mode=download&product_id=18

I talked with both Promise (who referred me to Maxtor) and Maxtor. Maxtor said the newer 133 driver should work without any problems with their board. I guess I'll try it tonight and see if it solves my problem, if works I'll post an update.

As far as I know, the driver is the same for both the ata100 and the ata133 cards. I sent maxtor esupport an email about the driver incompatibility, but I doubt I'll hear a response. So in other words, if your ata133 controller won't function like you need it to, neither will your ata100. Also, I do have both of the mentioned cards.

It works!

After replacing the scsiport.sys with the one from SP2 and installing the new promise controller driver (ultra.sys) I no longer have the blue screen problem I was having. The version of ultra.sys I installed is 2.0.0.29.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

I renamed and keep replacing and win2k keep putting the sp3 one back. do I have to do this in safe mode? also I dont have a dllcache folder