Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

Ultimate Slipstream Guide (almost)

Sorry guys, but what do you mean with "Slipstream"? I've never heard this word before. What the heck is a Win2k CD slipstream?!? A bootable Win2k CD with the latest SP included? ;(

Exactamondo. SP included with NT5/NT5.1 . Gonna stick NT4 in there but probly not anytime soon. Much more complicated than NT5/NT5.1

Great Guide DosFreak! I have a quick question, is it possible to integrate IE 5.5-SP2 into the slipstreamed ISO? It would be very sweet to have some instructions included in this guide laugh

Nope, IE nor 2K offers the ability to "slipstream" IE into 2K/XP. You may be able to add the files manually but as far as I know nobody has tried. It should be possibile tho.

You can include commands to run IE install silently AFTER the NT5 install using SYSPREP but I haven't added that information to the Guide yet.

Awesome tip to replace the NTLDR & NTDETECT.COM with the XP versions! Why didn't I think of that?? smile

Quote:

You can include commands to run IE install silently AFTER the NT5 install using SYSPREP but I haven't added that information to the Guide yet.

That would be pretty cool
although i don't use 2k or XP on my machines
I do have lots of friends that look to me for this type of stuff
I suppose i could just look up some info about sysprep for that tho

Just started really messing with that Qfixapp package today that has been pretty cool. Some people don't like ms but I really like how their technology is growing. It sure keeps the money rolling for me.

I wonder why nero must have that registry settings. I used nero to make a bootable xp +sp1 cd without that settings and it seems to work fine!

DosFreak,

The following is wrong:

>> cdrom_sp.tst (cdrom_sp.tst=SP1 cdrom_sp.tst=SP2 cdrom_sp3.tst=SP3)

it should be:

cdrom_sp.tst -> SP1

cdromsp2.tst -> SP2

cdromsp3.txt -> SP3

wink

OMG, how in the world did that get in there? ;(

Fixed it. Guess that's why it's "Almost" the Ultimate Slipstream Guide. laugh

DosFreak, awesome guide smile

I have a win2k pro upgrade cd and tried to slipstream SP3 into it following your guide but after i made the cd my cdroms will not read nor boot the cd? Thus the question will slipstreaming work with the upgrade version of win2k? or do i need the full win2k pro cdrom? Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.Thanks.

i d/l'ed sp1 from the premier site

in the readme it says:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This product includes Windows XP integrated with the SP1 files. The SP1 files that are part of this integrated service pack are a collection of updates for Windows XP. So, if you use this CD to install Windows XP, you are also automatically installing SP1.

now my question is...

what now? lol j/k

at what point in your slipstream guide do i jump to.

or which steps do i need to take.

n/m i figured it out

on a side note...

i made a iso using winiso and slipstreamed with that

with nero 5.5.8.2 i didnt need to make a "bootable" cd

nero recognized it was a bootable iso file so i just burned the image

and viola'

I having trouble slipstreaming SP1 into WinXP.

Here's the error I get,

error.JPG

Now I do have the English version of WinXP Pro, so I understand why SP1 says it's not the same language.

Any ideas on how to get around this?

Updated the Guide. Add the XP SP1 boot disks and specified that the guide is currently only for 32bit versions of Windows.

The "English" ver of XP Pro so you understand why it doesn't say the same language? Do you mean that you do NOT understand why?

Is your copy of XP Pro the US ver?

Is your copy of XP Pro the 32bit ver?

Is your copy of SP1 the US ver?

Is your copy of SP1 the 32bit ver?

Quote:
The "English" ver of XP Pro so you understand why it doesn't say the same language? Do you mean that you do NOT understand why?

Is your copy of XP Pro the US ver?
Is your copy of XP Pro the 32bit ver?
Is your copy of SP1 the US ver?
Is your copy of SP1 the 32bit ver?

What OS are you using to create the slipstream? That may have something to do with it.

How would one slipstream the latest drivers?

Also, how would I go about running that script so it would install updates for IE, WMP, DX9 and other xp updates? Maybe even throw in some of my commonly used utilities and applications like winamp, aim, and winrar.

You might want to check out WINCDMAN. I haven't had the time to update the Guide....was going to put alot of stuff in there...especially my NT4 SP6a slipstream but alas not enough time to finish these fun projects!

For anyone who wants to know:

NT4 SP6 slipstream went fine when I did it 2yrs ago...unfortunately didn't get around to including the updated registry entries from SP6a so upon bootup NT4 still reported SP1! Probly get around to finalizing it around 2010.

DosFreak, lord of boot, I request your presence to answer mine question.

I have the need to create a WindowsXP CD that will wipe the hard-drive/partition and install WinXP via an unattend/sysprep file.

Is this possible?

Thank you for you kind reply...

Dosfreak,

How did you integrate sp6 into the NT$ CD?

Could you please add this to your guid.

With kind regards

Thunderbold

Ah, ye old slipstream guide. Wow. Was testing out the latest ver of Nlite today and it's amazing how far we've come in customization of pre-installation of Windows. Dunno if it's worth it to bother up[censored] the guide or not since Nlite is so good. I suppose in some instances or if you like to torture yourself then a guide like the one I posted would be okay to use but really people should just use Nlite.