Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

Windows 2000 SP3 is here

hmmm, I was just about to post the link but you did beat me DosFreak smile

Guess I´m an old fart laugh

/Toby

Nice link either way. I guess I'll have another push via SMS in the near future...

laugh

Just installed it on my machine at home and alive and well smile

Will give it a go at work on the DC's in our test-domain on monday :)( a large forest with +10000 users with lots of Exchage & SQL-servers. An exact replica of our production enviorment).

/Toby

Well my test domain will recieve SP3 tomorrow, considering it's 1:30am here right now I've got no intention of doing anything with it now smile

My test domain DC, Exchange Server, SQL Server and at least one workstation will have had to have been running this for 30 days without a single issue before it gets rolled out to my live domain.

Oh the fun starts here, the workstation upgrades always come first, then the dreaded servers - please don't let this be like the infamour NT4 SP which killed servers left, right and centre.

Windows 2000 SP3 Deployment Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/prem_sp3/deploytools.asp

The Windows 2000 Resource Kit Deployment Tools (deploy.cab) assists system administrators in installing Windows 2000 on multiple computers. This file contains updates to the deployment tools and documentation.

http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/dow...DeployTools.exe

Windows 2000 SP3 Support Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/prem_sp3/supporttools.asp

These updated Windows 2000 Support Tools (support.cab) will help support personnel and network administrators better manage their networks and troubleshoot problems.

http://premierdownload.microsoft.com/download/win2000platform/Tool/SP3/NT5/EN-US/SP3SupportTools.exe

I followed the slimstream guide word by word. I'm booting with the 4 bootdisks, and the setup gets to de "format c:" part, but after that when windows wants to copy the files to the drive it gives and error.

When i boot frmom the cd the setup runs fine till the end...

Any ideas?

How did you find the SP3 links Dosfreak? I have searched (for quiet a while...) SP3 downloads and info in Microsoft site as if I did not know they existed and I found nothing! ;(

It seemed to me that you were warned by Bill himself... smile

Ok a little more details:

i updated the bootdisk image files using bdup.cmd. (what does extract.exe have to do with that? it's not mentioned in your slipstream guide.)

I created the 4 bootdisks in the windows 2000 command prompt with the makeboot.exe from the updated windows 2000 sp3 cd.

I boot with these 4 disks. When on the 4th disk i get to the partition setup part, i set up my partitions, everything goes well. Then setup formats my c: partition in NTFS, so far so good. But just after the format i get following error:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following value in the .SIF file used by setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [sourcedisksfiles] with key "sp3.cab"

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yup, that's what it is.

BDUP.CMD uses EXTRACT.EXE to create the images. If your version of extract.exe isn't the same as the one posted at the arstechnica post then the images created will not work. Try downloading the extract.exe from that thread. Place it in your SYSTEM32 directory. Now recreate the images.

Now try the disks.

So you don't have to go through the process of recreating the CD again. Download WinISO. Open up the .ISO that you created with WINISO. Replace the bootdisks in the .ISO with the ones that you created. Now save the .ISO and burn it to CD.

*Connectix VPC helps out greatly when creating CD's creating floppies. You can test .ISO'S & .IMG's without wasting CD's/Floppies/Time.

Quote:
Ok a little more details:

i updated the bootdisk image files using bdup.cmd. (what does extract.exe have to do with that? it's not mentioned in your slipstream guide.)

I created the 4 bootdisks in the windows 2000 command prompt with the makeboot.exe from the updated windows 2000 sp3 cd.

I boot with these 4 disks. When on the 4th disk i get to the partition setup part, i set up my partitions, everything goes well. Then setup formats my c: partition in NTFS, so far so good. But just after the format i get following error:

The following value in the .SIF file used by setup is corrupted or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [sourcedisksfiles] with key "sp3.cab"

Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3

OK thanks for your quick replies, i will try that and tell you later tonight if it worked.

It still doesn't work. I still get the same error after the format. I tried all your versions of extract... BDUP.CMD works and seems to make the images fine, the floppies work, till the format is finished then i get that darn error...

I did it in vmware (i rulez!! smile ) this time cuz i'm sick of formatting my computer over and over again frown

Hmmm, gonna check this out tonight because I coulda swore it worked. Compare the files in the SP3 floppy images to the SP2 floppy images. See if there are any differences.

rgodart,

Could you use the Slipstream thread in the Tips & Config forums? This will free up the Feedback forum for what it's for...also we are also discussing this subject in that forum.

I had installed the Exchange 2000 SP3 a view days ago and after installing the Windows 2000 SP3 my server suddenly began to relay!!!! Only after uninstalling the W2K SP3 it worked again. It wad the middle of the night so I didnt try to reinstall the Ex2K Sp3.

UPDATE: EX2K SP3 does NOT fix the problem!!! I am now running with UNINSTALLED W2K SP3.

Any similar experiences?

After installing SP3 on my 2k Pro system everytime I log off I get a 'can't unload your user profile error'.

Takes forever to log off...

Uninstalled to SP2 and it works fine, put SP3 back on and rebooted immidiatly after log in, and i get the same problem.

Anyone suggest anything?

The exact event log error is:

Windows cannot unload your registry class file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator.

DETAIL Access is denied. , Build number ((2195)). Event ID: 1000

Yeah, I have that exact same problem Curley_Boy!!!!

But I´m not sure if it´s a bad error...