Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Titanus

Driver under Windows2000

Hey people! I really think this is a great NT info site! Many of my doubts and questions were answered here without having to bother anyone! However there is a first time for everything, and now I have a problem I couldn't solve until now, and for which there is no solution even in this site!!! frown

I've been trying to play Driver on the best Microsoft OS until date, in my humble opinion: Windows 2000!

I don't like XP, I think it has a very unprofessional look...

Anyway, I configured my GeForce has I always did under Win98 SE with the setup program, which ran fine!

However after that, when I try to run the game it gives me a "program error" and an "error regist being created" or something like that (because I have the Portuguese language version).

I have other games installed like Max Payne, FIFA 2002, Grand Prix 3 and 4, The Sims, Colin Mcrae Rally 2, Alien Vs Predator Gold Edition, and ALL of them run just fine! Even FIFA 99 I managed to make it work after a few registry modifications!

Only Driver doesn't run, in spite of all your game compatibility list info states that it should!!!

Could anyone please help me, giving some guidance?

Here follow my computer specs:

Desktop

Intel Desktop Board CC820 for P3

Intel Pentium III Processor Slot 1 @ 600 Mhz

256 Mb Hyundai PC133 SDRAM

Creative 3DBlaster GeForce 2 MX

Drivers Creative v29.42

IBM 20 GB ATA 66 7200 RPM

Fujitsu 1,6 GB

250 Watts Power Supply

Windows 2000 Professional SP2 with ALL Updates (Drive E)

Windows 98 SE (Dual Boot)

Sound Blaster 128 PCI Onboard with Creative latest drivers

Diamond Supra Express 56k Modem

US Robotics Cable Modem

CD-ROM Teac 540E 40x IDE

CD-RW HP 9100+ 8x4x32 IDE

Monitor Sony 17"

Microsoft Mouse PS2

Microsoft Keyboard

Thanx! cool

Pedroeleuterio@oninet.pt

Weird.

It works fine on my dual system in W2k.

Things to try:

Make sure you are running it at the same colour depth and resolution as your desktop.

Disable the 8-bit textures (I think this is an option, but my memory is a bit vague as I haven't played it in ages).

Lower your desktop resolution to 800x600.

Try some backdated dets like the 23.11's.

Sorry if these tweaks sound trivial but its a long time since I played it, and the only trouble I had was with the graphics being very square due to the 8-bit textures.

You could try reinstalling it.

GL

Yep, I hate Driver posts because I never seem to be able to help. Driver has always worked for me. Going to try it out tonight again just to be extra duper sure but I'm sure that it will work like it has dozens of times before. (2000/XP)

Thanx for your help guys!

There is however another "detail" I haven't told yet because I thought it was not important... The version I have was givven to me by a friend, well.. it´s not exactly an original CD!

He downloaded the entire compressed game from the net and then gave it to me. It was a 50 Mb file which after full installation occupies some 200 Mb on my hard drive. So, the game runs completely from de hard drive without any CD! A little bit different from the original game I suppose... There must certainly be some kind of crack right?? But could that have any influence on this problem? In Win 98 SE the game runs fine...

Hummm, with all due respect this is not a board to discuss how to get your illegal and ***** copies of games working.

These board are of a professional nature, I feel even the admin's will agree on that one.

As you know that when purchased this game works fine under the OS in question, maybe you should do your part at supporting the flagging PC gaming industry, put your hand in your pocket and don't thieve software.

Currently the PC gaming market makes software houses the least amount of money, houses will eventually start dropping the PC as a valid gaming platform should they not make a profit, eventually this will leave us with no decent games for the PC.

Please don't be a thief, support the software houses that spend a fair amount of money on developing these games for you to enjoy.

With the age of the game in question you should be able to pick it up under a budget label without much problem.

Quote:

I don't like XP, I think it has a very unprofessional look...

It's better than a tired, dated look :P

Seriously, this has to be the most retarded reason out there for not liking XP. Not only can you go back to the tired, dated look if you so desire you can pretty much change everything to suit your taste.

I must certainly agree with BladeRunner. In all aspects... You are absolutely right!

But the majority of my PC games ARE originals!! But now and then I get a copy from a friend, just to try it out to see if it worths de money. If that makes me a thief... Sometimes maybe... But one thing is certain: if all the gamers and software users were as thiefs as I am, the software and game industry were a lot richer!!

Anyway, being aware of your professional nature (for which I'm pleased), I will not disturb you guys again with illegal or p**** software! That´s a promise and next time I´ll try to propose a more interesting problem to solution!! Thanx anyway

Concerning Admiral LSD´s post about XP...

I think I have the right to my opinion and to like or dislike the look... If it´s a tired look, that's your opinion! I must say I don't know XP VERY well. I just worked with it a few days. Anyway, I believe in you when you say that I can change things to suit my taste. I also had that impression... But is it possible to change everything???? Can I change that ridiculous frog that shows up when I login, for example????? And how much time would I spent to do all that tweaking??? I doubt that it worth it... And there are other things I dislike in XP. It's too... interactive!! ANYTHING I do, the damn OS is always giving sugestions and options like if I were a complete idiot!!! It's so annoying!! Maybe this could be turned of, I sincerely don´t now. But I think XP has some advantages over 2000 like... it´s increased compatibility with games I suppose (although nowadays all games work in 2000...). And it´s a little easy to work with in certain tasks like shortcut creating, CD-RW burning, it comes with the media player 8, and other stuff... But for me, being aware that I have a P3 600 and that XP is more resource consuming, I have more disavantages than advantages in using it!! And I also would have to pay for it of course! So, for now, Windows 2000 rules on my PC!!!! And I challenge everyone to make me think otherwise!!!!

Quote:

Concerning Admiral LSD´s post about XP...

I think I have the right to my opinion and to like or dislike the look... If it´s a tired look, that's your opinion! I must say I don't know XP VERY well. I just worked with it a few days. Anyway, I believe in you when you say that I can change things to suit my taste. I also had that impression... But is it possible to change everything???? Can I change that ridiculous frog that shows up when I login, for example????? And how much time would I spent to do all that tweaking??? I doubt that it worth it... And there are other things I dislike in XP. It's too... interactive!! ANYTHING I do, the damn OS is always giving sugestions and options like if I were a complete idiot!!! It's so annoying!! Maybe this could be turned of, I sincerely don´t now. But I think XP has some advantages over 2000 like... it´s increased compatibility with games I suppose (although nowadays all games work in 2000...). And it´s a little easy to work with in certain tasks like shortcut creating, CD-RW burning, it comes with the media player 8, and other stuff... But for me, being aware that I have a P3 600 and that XP is more resource consuming, I have more disavantages than advantages in using it!! And I also would have to pay for it of course! So, for now, Windows 2000 rules on my PC!!!! And I challenge everyone to make me think otherwise!!!!

Thing is, saying the entire OS sucks based on something thats easily changed (simply changing back to the old look is a matter of a few mouse clicks and can be performed in under a minute.) as you appeared to do is moronic. Changing the logon icon is just as easy (it's under User Accounts in the Control Panel). Also, I must be doing something wrong if, in nearly a year of using XP, I hardly ever see these patronising features everyone talks about. I've found only two things about XP to be even remotely patronising: The .NET Messenger Wizard and the Add Network Place Wizard. Lastly, about resource hoggage: If my Pentium II 516 (O/C'd from 400) can handle XP your PIII should be able to as well.

Tried Driver out last night and it works perfectly. 2000/XP.

Using the latest 30.30 det's on my GF4 Ti4600. I've also used Driver on a TNT1/Matrox G400/Geforce 2 GTS/Geforce 3.

Feel free to ask questions about games as much as you like - that is why the two games forum's are there after all.

Make the questions general, but I don't think I'm the only one who's back gets put out once the conversation turns to illegal software - I for one wont attempt to help an obviously illegal or pirate software issue, however others will - it's their choice.

When you go for the illegal option you've got plenty of risks involved, virus's, trojan's and quite often the fact the thing will just not run when the original, legal version does just fine.

There are probably other area's on the net that will help you with such software, but the majority of the mainstream onces tend to keep an "anti piracy" policy, and certainly one I and a lot of other people agree with.

Hmmm, it's hard to say if the game crack was the only thing done to the game itself. Most downloaded cracked/ripped copies can be played just fine (although why someone would download a cracked/ripped copy is beyond me)

I suggest throwing it away. Driver really isn't worth playing anyway. If you want a criminaly minded Driving type of game that's far more realistic than Driver then I recommend that you pick up Grand Theft Auto 3.

I bought Driver and the only thing I've done with it is load it up to see if it works. ;(

One again you are right Bladerunner. Thanx to you and, of course, to Dosfreak!! I have just bought GTA 3. Now let's see if it works fine on my Pentium III 600...

Admiral LSD

Quote:
Thing is, saying the entire OS sucks based on something thats easily changed (simply changing back to the old look is a matter of a few mouse clicks and can be performed in under a minute.) as you appeared to do is moronic.

First of all, I have never said XP sucks!! I just said I didn't like the look!

And that there a few things more I don't like, reason why I didn´t install it on my PC. Yet... Who knows the future! In 2000 I thought I would never use Win2000 because of it's compatibility problems with games, no matter if it was much more reliable or not!! And now, when lots of those problems were solved (partially by this site cool guys), I don´t want anything else except Win2000!!! Win98??? Now I avoid it a little, although I think it's still a nice OS! The fact that Microsoft is not going to support it anymore, doesn't make me happy either!!!

Second, I doubt your PII has a good performance with XP... It should be stable... But do all that icons and stuff compensate for the speed lost?? Well, it's your computer... You do with it what you want! As I do with mine...

Third, I'm not really certain what moronic really means... honestly! But I doubt it's a complement!!! So, unless I'm wrong, I really don´t want to continue this uninteresting dialog...

End of discussion