Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cochese

Privateer 2: The Darkening (DOS Version)

Has anyone got the Dos version of Privateer 2 The Darkening to run under WinXP successfully? I have this version because i bought it when it first came out and didn't bother to get the DELUXE version when it came out (I wish I did now).

Just how different are the DOS version and the Deluxe (win95) versions?

Now the game goes for 40-80 dollars frown (deluxe version) on ebay.

Just wondering if anyone knew of a way to play this game under WinXP.

how did they get Ultima 7 to work under XP then? Isn't that a DOS game?

U7 doesn't really work. There's a DPMI fix but it's veeerry slow.

To get U7 to work you have to download "Exult" which is basically an updated engine for the game. Similar to "JDoom" for Doom in that it provides a Win32 interface to the files. It's pretty neat so check it out!

I had the game pretty much working (DOS version) but to be honest with you it doesnt work 100% and its just not worth it. frown

I just gave in and got the deluxe version from a place here in the UK. Using a slowdown util it works perfectly, but its a bit hard to find the deluxe edition.

I got the deluxe version and I am running win xp.

the install program says that my HDs dont have enough space to install.

I have 70GB and 90GB free on the two HDs I tried to install to. Has anyone else had this prob?

oh yeah I'm using NTFS, is that the prob?

Yeah unfortunatly i did, frown i just installed it on a win98 machine and then copied over the install directory to the XP pc.

You have to modify the dark.cfg (?) file to make sure it points to the correct place on the hard drive though.

Actual space doesnt seem to be an issue, as i created a very very small partition but it still objects frown

smile

no other way around the install issue huh?

oh well gonna have to wait a couple days before I get my win98se system back before I can play this game frown