Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The: What Computer Part did you buy this week thread

Quote:
Quote:
can't wait until that graphics card gets here
dual 21 inch is gonna be sweet

No offense, but don't you think that's a giant waste of money? Rather than buying extra screen realestate with a second monitor why not learn to toggle (Press Alt + Tab) or use the taskbar and switch between apps. Also there are tons of programs that give you mutliple desktops like unix. Two monitors can also be kind of annoying if you have one of the left and one on the right. You might find that one in the middle directly in front of you is more comfortable. I'm not trying to knock you or call you materialistic. I just don't want to see you waste your money on something that really doesn't do anything special. I mean you can only look at one monitor at a time anyways. I will admit Matrox is doing something cool with three monitors for games, but that too is just money down the drain. We live in a world with pollution, evil, and suffering do you really think 3 monitors is going to ease your pain or anybody else's? What if you bought a small patch of land with the 1000 dollars you didn't spend on a 3 monitor setup. You could grow apples or have a park for your neighborhood or something.

dude i do photoshop and premire and visual studio etc
the dude that is investing in my business gave me both monitors and he is buying me the graphics card wich only cost 107 bux. also i have used a 17 for years at one point i had 2 17s but then one of them (the cheaper one) caught fire so i was back down to one. I use alt tab all the time. Now i can alt tab with larger areas of maximised screen. and yea i do like one monitor directly in front of me the other is more secondary anyhow.

Quote:
i bought a hp omnibook laptop for the little woman

man that thing is small

Your woman or the laptop? laugh

AndyF laugh

I have tried it several times on friend's computers and thought that's highly overated. I'm sorry I just don't get it smile. Too much space, too much money. I mean really what'd you rather have digital camera or two monitors?

Got the monitor, got the digi-cam...what I need is some decent rechargeables for the digi-cam. 'Nother thing on my purchase list *goes to order Novell 5.1 eval for classes*

Quote:
I have tried it several times on friend's computers and thought that's highly overated. I'm sorry I just don't get it . Too much space, too much money. I mean really what'd you rather have digital camera or two monitors?

Without a question - duals.

Got my Retail ATI Radeon Pro 128mb today! Woohoo! Gonna test it out when I go home tonight. Any requests by anybody on what you want me to check out? I'm not going to do a full check of it until the weekend but I can do some quick analysis for ya if you want.

Hopefully gonna compare to my GF4 TI4600 on the same system this weekend. Before & After scores.

Just a user perspective instead of all these websites.

I've got a 21" Sony E500 so hopefully I'll be able to judge if there is an IQ increase or not.

Quote:
I have tried it several times on friend's computers and thought that's highly overated. I'm sorry I just don't get it smile. Too much space, too much money. I mean really what'd you rather have digital camera or two monitors?

well the monitors were given to me so all i had to do was get a graphics card. I have a digital camera so I am happy. I just need more hard drive space. Perhaps a 15k cheeta to run the system off of. I could also use some more ram but ram is mad expensive for my board.

I absolutely cannot believe how cheep 15,000 RPM drives have gotten. I take it there is a faster spindle speed out now? You can pick up a 10gig 15K drive for about 125 bucks! That's just crazy, crazy cool (for all you Paula Abdul fans out there, not that the song didn't suck, but she did have good ones, like cold-hearted snake) smile.

Quote:
Anyone get the feeling that 2003 is gonna be a BIG year for hardware advances? I do... apk

Between AMD's ClawHammer & HyperTransport, and the next gen nVidia chipset (NV3x, which is supposedly moving further towards photorealism...) it's going to be a great year!

Also with .NET server on the back-end, Microsoft will finally get more AD installations (many companies have still not completed a full AD installation because of the limitations of the Win2k implementation, and .NET server apparently goes a long way towards solving those problems!!)

...Anyway, what did I buy this week? Well, I caved in and bought a Logitech wireless keyboard & optical mouse combo - and I love it! It makes such a difference not to have to worry about whether the cables will reach, where you're sitting. I think it's got to be one of my best purchases this year!!
I've also got my eye on a DRD-RW/DVD+RW drive but I might wait a bit until the prices drop a bit further.

Rgds
AndyF

i shelled out for a legal copy of xp

(last week)

now i gotta get off my bum and reinstall with my squeaky clean slipstreamed sp1 cd

8)

Got the new Microsoft Multmedia Keyboard and Blue Mouse. Works nicely.

Want a new CDRW, but cannot decide at all which to get

Yeah, Lite-On drives are generally good quality, but often sold under different brand names. I've had good luck with Lite-On cdrw drives, been able to read subchannel data correctly, too.

I just bought and installed a Hercules GameTheatreXP 6.1 channel sound card.

This is one helluva card. I love it so far. And great drivers too, compared to the Fortissimo card that my friend got.

It doesn't fake 24bit sampling like the audigy cards do. It says it can do 20bit sampling, and that's exactly what it does.

And there are more possible input/output options that I could possible use.

So far, big thumbs up!

Got myself some thumbscrews @ last. They've been a little scarce, or expensive in the UK until now, but now Maplin's doing them in packs of 6 for £2.49 [product code WF78K]. Got 2 packs, but will be getting more. smile

Quote:
Lite-Ons are supposedly quite good.

And sometime either today or tomorrow, I'm buying a new monitor:

http://www.ctxintl.com/products/pr705f.htm

Well, I bought it yesterday but only hooked it up about 40 minutes ago. All good so far although these damper wires (It's a Trinitron tube) are going to take a bit of getting used to. Anyone know of some good software I can use to set up the geometry settings etc?

I'll give that a shot, thanks.

Also, is it just me or do this forums tables not fully extend to the edge of the screen (leaving a huge white patch to the right) when viewed at resolutions greater than 800x600?

Given that I don't use IE (preferring Opera instead) it's probably me but I just thought I'd ask.