Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The: What Computer Part did you buy this week thread

i bought a 15k ibm scsi drive

and reinstalled xp

i found out sunthin...

installing xp with 2 xeons then activating the hyperthread works and is ok.

but it works so much better to install after hyperthreading.

Which KVM is it? I have a couple of the USB/PS2 versions which are nice, but sometimes don't like certain systems. I have to use PS/2 cables for my mouse and keyboard instead of USB on my main workstation, whereas my older Dell box (running RH 7.3) can use the single USB cable. Kind of a bummer... frown

Monitor died, and being out of warranty, I needed a new one.

Dell 17" Trinitron flat-screen. It's used, but it's a steal @ $85. laugh

Hey DF, which KVM model is it? Also, what kind of range do you get on your WAP? Does it support 128bit encryption?

Belkin OmniView SOHO Series 4-Port KVM Switch with Audio PS/2 Platform - RETAIL BOX

http://www.belkin.com/

17-107-301-08.jpg

17-107-301-06.JPG

Linksys WAP11 Instant Wireless Network Access Point

http://www.linksys.com/

33-124-105-02.JPG

33-124-105-03.JPG

WAP 11 SPECS

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=429

Quote:
Provides Wireless Access Point or Bridging

MAC Filtering, and DHCP Client

Adjustable Antennas Provide for Easy Physical Configuration

Long Operating Range up to 1150 feet Outdoors

Easy to Use Web Browser-Based Configuration

Up to 256-bit WEP Security

The v2.2 is alot better than the old vers. V2.2 is HTTP managed like the BEFS over the Ether port on the back. The older vers were managed by a USB cable and SNMP.

Also v2.2 is 100mw instead of needing the hack like the older vers to pump it up that high and it supports bridging to other WAPP11's and finally it recognizes the BEFS as an AP Server so my WAP11 can be an AP Client FINALLY! WOOHOO!!

I already have a WAP11 just want to experiment with 2 WAP11's off of one BEFS Router and experiment with different routes over wireless.

Quote:
can't wait until that graphics card gets here
dual 21 inch is gonna be sweet

Definatly sweet.

I run 1600x1200x2 now and I get frustrated at work with a 19"

So efficient for power users, and even for regular users it provides more flexibility. Plus - from what I have heard - chicks dig it 8)

Yeah, I have 2 of those Belkin units, but with USB and PS/2. They are a lot better with high resolution/refresh rate than KVMs used to be.

The WAP looks cool, and I am thinking of getting one for home to use with my iPAQ. Toys rock.

i kinda like the 2 monitors at work here. never had 2 before.

makes things kinda nice although its a piece of crap matrox.

i dont have room for 2 21's at home

frown

Quote:
Quote:

Definatly sweet.

I run 1600x1200x2 now and I get frustrated at work with a 19"

So efficient for power users, and even for regular users it provides more flexibility. Plus - from what I have heard - chicks dig it 8)

yea i like dual
dual procs
dual or more hd for raid
dual nics
dual channel memory
dual etc.

well i just found out that the god damn order didn't go through cause I musta fuct something up in the card number or something.

O well I will have to reorder tomorrow and get it next week instead of this week.

Matrox makes some sweet cards for 2D graphics and they tend to go out of their way to get their drivers certified for apps like Solidworks and Pro/E. What don't you like about it?

matrox is ok for still life and 2d but i never use that stuff. it is cheap though

it's very slow and when there are a lot of details solidworks does a bunch of blinking when picking entities. pro/e works a little better because it's better program but if u try and turn the detail up it gets monsterously slow.

the geforce cards work pretty nice on solidworks compaired to the very highend cards but i would call it only acceptable for large pro/e files with max detail.

of course this is all subjective as i have been blessed with working with some pretty darn decent equipment like sgi r10k's, intergraphs with wildcat cards, and regular multi xeons with e&s graphics.

The last set of boxes that I got for the engineers here have been 1.5 and 1.7GHz dual Xeons that were running WinXP. For some reason SW 2001+ acted oddly with them and CosmosWorks (theywould crash out on mesh creation) so we wound up going to Win2K, installing SW 2001, go to SP14, then upgrade to SW 2001+. So far they haven't crashed in the last 4 months or so. All these boxes have Quadros in them, mostly because they don't have the shared backplane buffer issue like the regular GF2/3s did where running multiple models simultaneously would give the flashing and freezing you mentioned. I thought about trying softQuadro to make the drivers "think" they were Quadros, but I was concerned they would do more harm than good.

i have solidworks here and at home. both on xp, 1 matrox and 1 gforce4

i havent run into that problem yet. i only use solidworks when i absolutely have to

there is one guy here that runs gforce4 dual monitor... it will only display solidworks on 1 monitor. we tried all kinds of different drivers but i dont think it's a true dualhead card. (gainward)

hmm that gf4 not being true dual head makes me kinda nervous

I just bought one.

although all the stuff that i need to be on both monitors is 2d

photoshop

premire

visual studio

etc

so hopefully i woln't have any problems.

basically gl apps wont work on 2 monitors

the nvidia site says the the current ogl version does not allow acceleration on more than one device.

not sure if that applies to either of us but it would answer my problem

Quote:

No offense, but don't you think that's a giant waste of money? Rather than buying extra screen realestate with a second monitor why not learn to toggle (Press Alt + Tab) or use the taskbar and switch between apps. Also there are tons of programs that give you mutliple desktops like unix. Two monitors can also be kind of annoying if you have one of the left and one on the right. You might find that one in the middle directly in front of you is more comfortable. I'm not trying to knock you or call you materialistic. I just don't want to see you waste your money on something that really doesn't do anything special. I mean you can only look at one monitor at a time anyways. I will admit Matrox is doing something cool with three monitors for games, but that too is just money down the drain. We live in a world with pollution, evil, and suffering do you really think 3 monitors is going to ease your pain or anybody else's? What if you bought a small patch of land with the 1000 dollars you didn't spend on a 3 monitor setup. You could grow apples or have a park for your neighborhood or something.