Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DosFreak

The: What Computer Part did you buy this week thread

Wilhelm, what did you upgrade from? and let me know how that card runs! It is on my list of possible cards to get this summer

Haven't posted in the thread for quite a long while....but you can expect some posts sometime in the future because I plan to build a new computer at the end of this year!

I did get a free Thinpad P166 laptop from work this week. Plan to use it for DosBox compatibility testing.

Originally posted by tool_462:

Quote:
Wilhelm, what did you upgrade from?

I upgraded from NVIDIA GeForce4 MX4000, so I must say it was GIGANTIC leap from it. smile

Quote:
and let me know how that card runs! It is on my list of possible cards to get this summer

It runs quite good!

Guild Wars, Half Life 2 have never looked so beautiful.

Counter-Strike: Source, video stress test

All video options at max.

* Test 1#: AA 2x: 67.96fps

* Test 2#: AA none: 70.25fps

Have not jet tested Conflict Global Storm, which came with the card.

Ah, I ordered some nice stuff today:

eVGA 7600GT

Seagate 250GB (SATA) HDD

PFU Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite2

1GB SD memory for my camera

and 50ft of cat6 cable.

Bough a 500GB Western Digital SATA drive and a Nexstar 3 ESATA External Enclosure.

Just need to buy half a dozen more to transition over from all of my 120/200/250gb external USB drives.

Also bought a Western Digital Raptor 160gb SATA for my ol' nforce 2 mobo in preparation for when I build my new computer soon.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelmus
Bought Acer AL1717.

Been meaning to buy an LCD. Problem is that I haven't built my new computer yet so if I bought the monitor I want to get (24") then I won't have the power to push the native res.....

I'll be keeping my CRT for as long as it will last because I like using the original resolution so I guess it isn't an issue.

All this talk about large LCD displays and this is what I picked up last night, very sweet for both gaming in 1600 x 1200 and Widescreen DVD viewing laugh

First off, I couldn't edit my post so I have to reply with another one instead wink

Picked up THIS chassis yesterday for my pimp-daddy gaming rig.

This thing is massive so if you are looking for small, then look someplace else for sure grin

It comes with all the neat features you would want including BTX conversion and the neccessary air-ducts too.

The thing that got me was the all around look of the chassis and the well ventilated side panels. Hell it comes with a special fan mount bracket on the main side panel for up to 4 120mm fans eek

They went so far as to create a nice mesh vent slot on the bottom of the chassis as well.

Since the motherboard mounting tray is removable you and supports extended ATX form factors this would be a good chassis for just about anything, I think even a Quad-SLI rig would remain very cool in this case laugh

Bought a WD 500GB SATA HD yesterday to replace my internal 120GB PATA Game drive I bought back in 2002.

Mmm, 500gb of space. Time to fill it up!

Going to buy a 24 inch monitor next week. Most likely a Dell 2407WFP. The only other one I that matches it is the Benq monitor that just came out but it's $200 more expensive and I'm not sure that it's worth it.

Well I ordered the Dell 2407WFP!!! I'm so excited!!

The Benq FP241WZ looks very good but:

1. It's too new. (I usually wait 6months to a year before buying technology/games.

2. Too expensive.

3. Didn't like the button layout.

4. Didn't like their Dead Pixel Policy.

Also if I like the 2407 enought I'll probably buy another one and I want them to match.

LG Flatron Wide L196WTQ

I use a table as a desk, and the Dell 17" Trinitron CRT has made it bow some when on the thing. Still works, but boy, these LCD's have gotten nicer, and quite acceptable, even for a nitpicky person like I can be sometimes.

Picked up my new P182 to house all the new juicy hardware that wouldn't fit my ageing Sonata II (plus the door broke off :()

I just got back from Fry's and purchased a little something for my birthday...

They had the Seagate 750GB, SATA HDD's on sale for $140.00, so I picked up one of these along with a Promise 4-port eSATA/SATA Controller card and a Kingwin External Enclosure that supports USB and eSATA interfaces.

That price is so kicking I'm thinking I should pick up one more HDD laugh

If that seagate gets too hot you should definetly get your hands on the 1tb Western Digital Caviar Green drives.

I bought 6 750gb Seagates for my external enclosure and they are quite a bit hotter than the Western Digitals (Tested after copying hundreds of gigabytes of data to the drives).

I recently built a file server with 6 of those Western Digital 1TB drives and they are the quietest/coolest drives I've ever had.

Hmmm, need to update this thread with the file server I built last month.