DosFreak

The: What Computer Part did you buy this week thread

Originally posted by AndyFair:

Quote:
Originally posted by Yakkob:

Quote:
Well, I have just returned from ALDI (UK) with this

Blimey!

You managed to get a PC like that from a supermarket?!!

How much did it set you back, and did they have any left? :P 8)

Rgds

AndyF

Hi Andy,

Soz I aint replied earlier...Bit flu'd up at the mo frown

Price = £699.99

They should have some left, but hurry, the system is excellent for the money. AND HL2 looks absolutely gorgeous. Also, running NFSU2 with everything max @ 1600x1200 !!!! Mad AS!

A dustbuster!

Mainly to vacuum the crud out of my case, but also handy for ciggie ash, crumbs and anything else that looks like it would be fun to suck up (ties, curtains, small animals) smile

I got last week my Mac Mini. Apple took nearly 7 weeks to ship it to me frown

I ordered the following configuration:

Mac Mini 1.42GHz

512 Ram

80 GB HDD

Superdrive (DVD±RW)

Bluetooth

AirPort Extreme (WLAN)

with DVI to video adapter, Wireless Keyboard and Mouse

@Philip, the Mac Mini uses a fanless design I take it, all passive heatsinks and the like ?!?

My only gripe with the basic specs was that it could have been a little more beefy. More basic RAM and a faster CPU, however, since you're packaging it with a more efficient OS you most likely didn't really need a faster CPU.

That being said I think all machines should come with a base of 512MB of RAM and at least an 80GB HD for storage laugh

The Mac Mini has a fan but you barely hear it. The fan is only running loud in some heavy CPU load situations such as video rendering under iMovie HD. However, many PCs are much louder than this laugh

Last week I installed a Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT 128 MB. Works flawlessly under Slackware with the 7714 drivers. Couldn't figure out how to get it working under XP though, too much of a headache, so I said to hell with Windows... wink

Comp upgrade time. I order some stuff from ZipZoomFly yesterday and I can't way for my new toys.

-DFI NF4 Ultra-D

-Athlon 64 3000+ (Winchester) retail

-eVGA GeForce 6600GT

-512MB (2x256MB) Patriot PDP+XBL PC3200

-Enermax EG565P-VE FMA SLI PSU

Upgraded my file server last week to the following:

Aopen AX4SPE Max motherboard

Pentium 4-3.0c

Apacer, 4 x 512MB, PC3200

ATi X700 Pro, 256MB, AGP

Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse

In case you didn't get that last part, let me reiterate:

"LASER" laugh

Originally posted by jmmijo:

Quote:
"LASER" laugh
LOL!

I've just treated myself to a swanky ViewSonic VX912 19" LCD monitor. Woot!. laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by ross_aveling:
LOL!
I've just treated myself to a swanky ViewSonic VX912 19" LCD monitor. Woot!. laugh

Say I was looking at one of those too and I indeed forgot to mention this in my above post, I decided on an Aopen 19" LCD instead due to the pricing. It still comes with a 3-3-3 year warranty which is great, especially for the back-light warranty wink

Yup, the Viewsonic is indeed a little bit more expensive than normal. But when my girlfriend insists on us buying one to replace "that nasty lump of a CRT" (her words) I can't really object. 8)

Nope, if I had a sugar mama like that I wouldn't object neither laugh

lol nice, breaking the bank to please a woman :P

I had to pick up a Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W PSU last week to replace my aging Enermax 350W.

Um, I bought another SCSI to IDE adapter for my ESX test box and 2GB of RAM.

heh, VERY nice... *hate* :P lol

I picked up my ATI X850XT a couple months ago, and then had to grab a SATA 250GB HD to replace my dual 80 IDE setup :P kept running low on space. Haven't put any money into my pc lately, broke the bank paying for my Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop for school and (limited) mobile play :P.

Does a Notebook PC count? (Neo Q-Note Endura 350SL w/ Intel Celeron 1.3GHz, 256MB SDRAM, 40GB Hard Disk, Sis M661MX + SiS 963L Chipset, 15" TFT Display, Windows XP Home)