Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartyman

Does The Sims work on XP or not?

Ok. I have read a lot about The Sims working on Windows XP, but I have also read a lot about them not working. Does the game work or not? I had this problem with Rollercoaster Tycoon. I read that RCT worked on XP and I read that it didn't. I installed it, and for me it didn't work. Yes, I am the administrator. Yes, I have a legal copy of XP. There are no problems on my computer, and that is a fact. I just formatted the hard drive and reinstalled 98, then upgraded to XP. I have no illegal copies of anything. I just wish to have a simulation game that works on my computer, and The Sims is the one that i really really want. But I am completely unsure if I should spend the $45 to get it or not. Those that respond, thank you for your time and help.

1. Why did you upgrade 98 to XP? This is not necessary.

2. Have you installed ANY drivers for your hardware or are you using XP default drivers? You need to install any and all of the latest drivers that you can find.

3. Are you using the latest bios for all of your hardware?

4. What kind of hardware do you have?

5. Have you patched The Sims?

6. Have you tried a CD Crack for the Sims? (May be neccessary on some CDROMS)

Answers to Questions:

1. Upgraded because 98 is ugly and XP is pretty, and because my computer was acting messed up due to programs that I downloaded through KazaaLite, thus I formatted my hard drive and decided I might as well upgrade to XP while I'm at it

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. This my hardware for my Dell Dimension XPS T450: Intel Pentium III 448 MHz processor, 128 MB 100MHz SDRAM, 32MB NVIDIA TNT2 M64 AGP Graphics Card, Turtle Beach Montego 2 Soundcard, 13.6GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

5. Don't own the game, so no

6. Don't own the game, so no

Quote:

Answers to Questions:
1. Upgraded because 98 is ugly and XP is pretty, and because my computer was acting messed up due to programs that I downloaded through KazaaLite, thus I formatted my hard drive and decided I might as well upgrade to XP while I'm at it

You missed the point. It wasn't "whay are running XP?" it was "why did you install Win98, and then upgrade to XP?".

Wipe your PC again, and do a clean install of XP only. During the XP install, it will ask you for the Windows media that you are upgrading from. Insert your Win98 CD at that point, and then remove it when done.

You don't need to install Win98 first, and you're just storing up problems that could bite you later on if you do install it first.

If you're worried about whether it will work or not, try and buy it from somewhere that has a returns policy. I know EB and Game in the UK have them. You can take the game back within 10 days for a refund/swap for any reason you like smile

That's what I don't figure? Why not a fresh install of XP? Rollercoaster and the sims work fine under XP.

Take the PC, box it back up, take it to the store, and explain to them

why you shouldnt own a PC smile

Hmmmm, TNT2 M64 I've heard of people with this card having problems with the Sims with some Detonators. I've never seen these problems myself though. Try some different Det's.

Also....what kind of error message do you receive?

Quote:

Take the PC, box it back up, take it to the store, and explain to them
why you shouldnt own a PC smile

haha

You would be amazed at the amount of crap that happens with upgrades.