Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jabal

W2K(sp2) and Sound Blaster Live! woes...

Hello,

I have recently removed my old sound blaster32 to replace with a more advanced model and have had encountered dificulties with the driver installation.

Posting at Creative's site has been helpful, but no person there has ever encountered this particular error.

The model number is: CT4760 using IRQ 11 and address DC00-DC1F

after initiating a clean install...(removing all .dll's nad executables, uninstalling drivers,etc.) Removing the card, powering back up, shutting off the system, and then installing into any available PCI slot, letting the O/S detect it, seems to work ok.

However, at the point where I begin to install the drivers(either the downloaded ones from creative's site or off the original install CD, I encounter this message :

Program Error

_INS5576_MP.exe has generated errors and will be

closed by Windows. You will need to restart the

program.

An error log is being created.

I wonder if anyone has a solution to using the drivers so that I can actually use the advanced features of this sound card... like the Live! Drive, audio support for various apps and games that I enjoy, etc.

My system:

Intel P3-800Mhz

Tekram P6Pro-A+ w/Apollo Pro 133 VIA chipset(latest patch)

w2k(all patches and security updates)sp2

Thanks in advance,

Jabal

I've seen a message like this when installing things over a network where IPX/SPX is not installed. Just guessing from this but is there a conflict between the SBLive and your NIC?

Hi Sampson,

Thanks for the advice, however, at this time the only cards that are installed are video(AGP slot) and the enigmatic audio card.

My intention is to reduce all possible conflict so as to more effectively diagnose the problem, but, it still remains.

-J

I think you may have a virus...

just my 2 cents... there have been many problems with the live but never with the installshield executable for the live.

Nope... no virus here! Have the latest library installed and periodically check with secondary anti-virus application.

Now, just for kicks... I've managed to get the card to work using only the default drivers, however, when any CGI is running(usually in game video sequences... like Jedi Knight II, and others... the audio and video "chudder" to the point where it resembles a slide show.

This is the reason why I have been trying to get the driver from creative to work, but every time I attempt to installit, the same anomaly persists.

Argh..!

-J

I am not sure whether it is related but I remember that on several occasions these drivers could not install properly. It seems that the installer used to unpack some of its stuff outside the temp folder then could not find them again next step.

I took the habit to manually unpack in a folder created for this purpose and set it up from there.

In other circumstances, some of the driver files would be installed at the root of program files folder instead of the Creative subfolder, creating errors.

In the end, I just deleted Creative from my supplier list. Too much hassle with their hardware and drivers.

Yes, I've also got the CT4760. Mine's the SB LIve Platinum (it'll be called something slightly different in the States, I think). Like you, I'm using Win2K + SP2.

I too have had problems downloading and installing the driver. The downloading works but (and this was quite a long time ago now, so my memory on this is hazy) the driver wouldn't install and I got an error message something like "File XYZ is missing; the driver will not install".

I tried downloading a second time but same result. In the end, I contacted Creative about it. They denied there was any problem with it.

Fortunately for me, I'm not so concerned with having all the bells and whistles and extra software that the full driver gives, so in the end I simply forgot about the pukka driver and, ever since, have been using the Micro$oft default SB driver instead, which is called something like Microsoft SB Live Basic (see Device Manager). This provides perfectly good audio quality for the restricted amount of CD and DVD playback operations I perform but I can understand your frustration at not getting the bells and whistles you need for games work, etc.

I'm convinced the problem lays with Creative, ie the driver itself is at fault. I guess in time Creative will realise this but, in the meantime, they'll be a hard nut to crack.

use the drivers on windows update. those should work fine.

I have been playing Heros of Might & Magic IV on my old computer with Windows XP (syill do, no choice), but have since bought a new updated gamers PC with Windows 2000.

When I try to install the game autorun starts and gets me as far as the "I agree" window then I get this error:

Program Error

_INS5576_MP.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.

You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.

I have read the read me file and all it says for Windows 2000 is:

**Windows 2000 requires local administrator access.

This is not a help.

My disk is clean and scratch free, like I said it plays fine on old computer which has DirectX 9 as my new PC. Only difference between the new and old PC is Windows Xp Home and 2000.

New = 2000 Old = Xp New is much faster and better machine.

Should anyone have any answers I would be much thankful.