Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Guvernment

How much bandwith would hosting pictures for..........

Hello all

i was curious if anyone knew roughly how much bandwidth would be required for a server to act as a "picture" host.

Basically a server which will host only pictures for people, who can then "outside link" the images, since it seems so dam hard to find sites that still allow out side linking..

like lets say i got, mmm

50 people, who each got like 20 pictures uploaded, and linked on other web sites....... i guess once loaded it would not use alot of the servers bandwidth to send out that pic again?

any idea's or info would be kew!

It really depends on how often those pictures are accessed. You could have thousands of pictures taking up gigabytes of space, but if someone only looks at one picture every other day, then it will use virtually no bandwidth. On the other hand, a single 50kB picture that was accessed a million times a day could easily bring down your entire line. The thing to keep in mind is that when someone wants to look at a picture, your server has to send it to them, and if 100 people look at the same picture, it has to be sent out 100 times.

Since I didn't directly answer your question, I'll venture a guess. For the kind of traffic it sounds like you're talking about, you will probably be just fine with your dsl line for serving those pictures.

okay kew kew

the specs of what iwould liek to get, as i think it is good is:

Service Available

Lowest Speed 640/160 (kb/sec)

Lowest Price $ 210

Highest Speed 1784/384 (kb/sec

Highest Price $ 210

[/list:u]

i am still looking into quiet a few other providers in the area (toronto)

1 Mbps up/down would be enough, as long as you don't hog up the b/w for yourself smile