Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

Neverwinter Nights- Worth buying?

Some reviews have said that it plays like Diablo and I hate diablo.

It kinda plays like diablo, in that you point and click on what you want to kill (at least for the fighter types anyway), but its more skilled in that your character actually fights with the enemy rather than just hitting him over and over as you bash the mouse button.

Basically its baldurs gate in 3D, so if you like that youll like this smile

Well worth getting in my opinion authough its starting to get a little repetitive cos it seems to be alot of...meet person A, get quest...save person A's Wife/Son/Brother/Long lost cousin etc, return to person A for reward. laugh

It's not bad......the sound is all screwy on my system for some reason....but otherwise it is pretty good....very involved story line....

This game really worth buying. It convinced me (I always hated this kind of games) to love the D&D genre.

But it's sad to play with minimum details (damned kyro 2)

The graphic looks very nice maxed out...

I just wish i was good enough as the game to be a wizard or a sorcerer guy. In this and in baldurs gate i just end up getting too close to them and getting totally killed.

So i always end up being a fighter frown

Well I haven't played any of the above mentioned games, & I've never been into D&D-style computer games, but someone recommended I try the demo for Dungeon Seige. Needless to say I soon-after got the full game. I thought Max Payne was addictive, but nowhere near as much as DS!

As to what M4C was saying about the differences iin abilities & usefulness & tactics of different character types, I don't know how other games of the genre handle such matters, but in DS my original character [i have 7 + a mule] is now a not-too-shabby fighter, as well as a moderately decent combat mage. That's the good thing about DS, you can build a character's abilities up in 1 area, eg melee or ranged combat, & then when you get it to where you're moderately comfortable with it, you can start developing his magic skills, or the other way round.

Anyone playing it & got a favourite spell? mine's Explosive Powder - requires combat magic level 3, but is so useful as it acts like a cross between a bouncing bomb [as in WWII & the Dam Busters] & a grenade. Even better is, when you get the hang of it you can use it to drop it on nasties who are below you, ie when you're @ the top of a cliff & they're down below. Due to some quirk of the game, it's supposed to have a range of about 10 or 12, but under the right circumstances you can hit a target 2 or 3 times that distance away. Really reduces the risk of your characters getting any retalliatory damage. smile

<edit>

PS - definitely a GOTY candidate.

</edit>

Neverwinter Nights ranks low as a D&D game.

Predictable, boring and very buggy even after patch no. 20; the player's statistics (or inventory, or weapons, etc.) still disappear although not due to sickness; the fights are often scripted or unrelated to abilities. Game engine is defective and the necessary (corrupted) reloadings due to bugs make this a game to drop unfinished. The use of third edition rules improve on Pool of Radiance ROMD (the Ranger dual-wields weapons, summons a favorite animal and uses low magic).

Morrowind is excellent and Dungeon Siege a nice game. Wizardy 9 too is technically superior all around.

This game was a blast to play. I beat it in about 3 days.. (thats how many hours i spent addicted to it). And, it was so fun that i started again with a different character. Got him to about lvl 9, then decided that i would try some other games.

Granted, there are a couple bugs, but i never ran into ANY of them. And this game is a LOT less buggy than some of the other d&d games. ie: pool of radiance.

The story to NWN is awesome. Bioware stayed consistent with their intriguing storylines. It makes you want to keep playing to find out what happens next. The character creation and advancement is awesome. The skills are right on for every character, the spells are awesome, graphically and realistically, and the fighting is great as well. You can actually look down and watch the computer roll the dice for your attacks, saves, etc... The melee combat is cool to watch, the characters parry and dodge. The gameplay is incredible.

I mean, yeah, so there are some bugs, but what game doesn't have bugs? Just hit the "G" key and quick save frequently. That way if somethign happens, you only lose about 5 mins of playing time.

Anyway, if you like D&D...and you've liked Biowares titles in the past, then definitely get this game. Its a blast..

Guys if im a fighter is there a way to use all these spells I have found or do I have to change to a spellcaster midestream? my fighter is only at level 4 now

Sure - next time you go up a level, look into the "Use Magic Device" skill. It will cost you extra points because you're not a bard or rouge, but it's better than nothing...

No, it allows you to USE the items, not learn them. If you want to genuinely cast spells, you'll have to multiclass.

For more info on the skill I'm talking about, see page 85 of the manual...

well I just leveled up and my fighter is level 5 right now, should I choose wizard now so that I can cast spells? Or would it be better to just choosed the use magic items skill?

It would hardly be role-playing if I just told you what to do, eh? But don't forget that wearing armor will affect your spell-casting bigtime. I would say just keep on with the fighter (or maybe go towards a rouge or cleric) and then get a henchman to cast spells for you.

Is it hard to make it through the game as a wizard? once I win it I might play again as that