Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
one_2_three

VM Ware...your thoughts?

Many times I have installed VMware on my system, but haven't really got fully familar with the software.

Is it worth using? Maybe to even test something out like Linux on?

Thanks

I've played with VMWare in the past, I noticed it was faster than Connectix Virtual PC but VPC was more compatible with the sound in DOS games which is what I needed. I've never been able to get Red Hat Linux to successfully install under VPC but I've heard (and seen screenies) of people successfully installing flavours of Linux under VMWare. I can't verify that myself however, since I've never tried it.

Ive used multiple distro's of Linux on VMWare. I think its a great program, although it does hog resources alot, there isnt really an effective/elegant way to get around this.

I have had no problems with Mandrake 8.1 and above, red hat 7.1 and up and slackware 8.1.

I really want to get into gentoo linux (more so for a personal preject) but I think that it would not configure as easily using the virtual machine as the other distros do.

One thing to make sure to do is install vmware tools. Sometimes it doesnt work when clicking the link or using the menu function so I think it was Admiral_LSD who posted the link for me awhile ago and here it is.

I usually set it up to use 192 megs of RAM and 3 GB file for the installation.

Thanks for the information (this is one_2_three by the way, so this feels weird, lol)

VMware rocks. Plain and simple. One thing that bothers me though: I don't know if this happens just to me or everyone, but Windows games like for example Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain run reeaaally slow. DOS games run fine. SSF2T forever! wink

Rogue Jedi X,

I'm pretty interested in VMWare for legacy game compatilbility. Could you maybe expand a little on Windows games and VMWare? For example, is it still playable? Sound and video all good? What computer specs do you have (and version of VMWare)? Or anyone who's had experience with it, please post. Thanks.

Compatibility is not in Vmware for games

You want Connectix Virtual PC for that.

Vmware is better for emulation in Linux, for networking, and for speed server-wise.

Well, I never really got heavily into configuring and using VMware. All I did was enable the sound and play a few DOS games on it. Oh yeah, and Blood Omen smile So actually this wasn't exactly a hardcore VMware experience. I think most people call it "fiddling" wink As for my computer specs (that Dakhath requested):

AMD Duron 1200

256 DDR RAM

Elite K7S5A Mobo

GeForce 2 MX400

Hercules Muse XL

I don't think anyone cares about anything else, like LAN cards smile

The Version of VMware that I have is 3.1.1 build-1790

Quote:

Has anyone ever gotten Bochs to work? I couldn't figure it out. Talk about lacking a user-friendly environment. http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

I managed to get Bochs going under Linux about 3-4 years ago but not only would Windows 95 (it was incapable of running Win98 then since its CPU core only emulated an i386 whereas Win98s installer expects a 486 at a minimum) install hellishly slow I was never able to actually get it to finish.

Quote:
Compatibility is not in Vmware for games
You want Connectix Virtual PC for that.

Seeing as how they both offer trial versions, I'll check them both out. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

I thought you left

Nah, but I did have the door slammed in my face (aka. banned) smile

I have used VMware since the beginning,

never really had any problems except when I was

trying to run lycoris inside of vmware, i got no video

after the install was done.

but other than that, its great if you have enought RAM.