Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jwl812

NTFS under XP

I am encountering a problem with some driver setup files under XP formatted with NTFS. During my install of my Epson printer windows returned a "can't locate c:\ (files name) and the setup quit. Then the same problem during my VIA 4in1 setup. Then the same during Norton LiveUpdate of Antivirus. After LU downloaded all the files windows couldnt seem to find them. I went back to FAT32 and no problems. I reformatted and went back to NTFS and BAMMM!! the problem returned. HELP!!!!!

That is really strange, a program shouldn't be able to tell the difference in filesystem like that... Hell, I can run old DOS programs (which were designed with the old FAT16 system in mind) on my NTFS drives and they don't seem to care.

Someone told me its because I disabled the Last Access Update in NTFS. Some files need this to lookup certain files atributes? Sounds like its not it since the setup files I'm running were not present when I disabled the Last Access Update within the file system. I am stumped. I am sticking with FAT32 until I find out what is causing this.

The only way to test that would be to convert the partition to NTFS (turning every attribute you disabled back on if they're still off) and then trying again. I honestly hope you find a solution since FAT has had its day and theres really no point in continuing to use it (unless you're one of those poor, poor souls still stuck using Win9x or worse yet, one of those souls who prefer it over the superior NT platforms)

It's NOT a file system problem for sure. It may have something to do with possibly did you install a service pack ? I had a problem with a epson .dll file that required a 'reinstall of epson drivers' nothing more serious than that. Something may be also tuen off in 'services'.

Quote:

Someone told me its because I disabled the Last Access Update in NTFS. Some files need this to lookup certain files atributes?

It should not be a problem to disable Last Access Update but if you disabled (value 1) NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation that's the problem.

Some installers depend on 8.3-names to work correctly. Change it back, reboot and try agian. smile

/Toby

Thanks Toby, I did have that disabled too but thought that only effected old DOS stuff. Thanks.