Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ITGL72

damaged user profiles

Here's the situation. Figures on the day I leave on a 10 day vacation in the afternoon I have something like this happen!

One of the guys here was in USERPROFILES and clicked the COPY TO button to the ALL USERS folder.

Now I have programs missing in the start menu (I'm sure they are there, just not shortcuts to them) and basically all the user profiles seem to be a mess. Tried copying a user profile from another NT machine but now we see the program files from THAT NT machine. (Displaying things that don't exist on this machine)

So basically, is there a way we can easily recreate the USER PROFILES on this machine? Seeing that time is sensitive for me, and I banished this individual from the room in anger that did this, I'm hoping someone has a quick fix or has done this before.

Thanks!

George

Umph, can't think of anything apart from restoring the backup, restoring the offline version of profiles (if still exist) and hanging that specific individual to the building entrance from his testicles just as an example. That ought to teach them not to mess with everything they see.

Bit more info might be useful, not that i have much hope. Like server version/config and client OS's... Worst case scenario, you create the shortcuts again....

Oh BTW Congratulations on great administration. Does security audits and file permissions mean anything?

If you're using roaming profiles, the solution is easy - you can copy straight over from the version stored on the server. Alternatively, physically disconnect from the network then logoff. Reconnect the network connection and log back on, it should ask you if you want to use your local profile, just say no.

Of course, if you're not using roaming profiles, then basically you're buggered...

AndyF

I think they already logged on, since he is talking about start menu and stuff.

I have never seen this happen. A new one.