Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
plaz

Counterstrike problems with win2k pro

When i start playing the game online it works smooth for the first minutes, then i get a error that "HL.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows" I have downloaded all win2k patches, nvidia drivers, via drivers etc. Need serious help ?

Comp:

AMD Athlon XP 1900+

MSI KT3 Ultra

256MB PC2700 DDR

Gainward GeForce 3 Powerpack!!

Soundblaster Live! Player 1024

Okay somebody has to ask the stupid yet obvious questions might as well be me. Did you patch counterstrike with the most recent version? Did you change your CD drive letter since you installed? Do other games crash? Did you install any old directX apps? Anything Directx 3 (and possibly 5) and older will overwrite newer files! (good job MS, pass some of that white powder my way will ya!)

Thanks,

Christian

You might get the most recent DirectX. You might run DXDiag from the run command line. You might update your live sound drivers. Is an MSI KT3 a motherboard? Do other OpenGL and DirectX apps crash after a few minutes?

i have updated half-life and cstrike. I also tried to reinstall but the same problem was here.

and yes i have updated the newest DirectX 8.1

and the newest sb live drivers i found.

and its just half-life that crashes, nothing else!

half life/ cs just suck

they have allways been buggy peices of ****

my bro plays on my server for hours on end with no crashes

then sometimes it will crash like 3 times in a row.

sometimes it will be loaded for days without crashing.

q3 sof 1 and 2 and nfs5 all run great on the same machine. Unreal aswell. My conclusion is that halflife has allways been buggy and that the patches make it better but it kinday reminds me of win98 in a way. Sometimes 98 would run great other times shitty kinda like luck of the draw or something. BTW i get the same random crashing on my computer from time to time with half life. My computers both have intel chips and chipsets and Geforce 2's with all the latest software/updates. I have had the random crashing of hl with win2k xp and .net funny thing is i used to play halflife on win98 for hours and i don't remeber it crashing at all.

Hi I just wanted to say Half-Life works fine. It might freeze after 3+ hours of consecutive play, but otherwise it's okay. I don't think it got to be game of the year by being total garbage. However I only played Half Life single player so your multiplayer experience might be different.

Let's face it everyone's anything crashes, and nobody releases anything "too stable".

-Christian

half life MP is the only game that i have that crashes on a regualar basis on every computer in my house. Things may never be too stable but i don't think that they should be that buggy. It is most surely some new thing that nvidia did with their drivers that half life hasn't been updated for. All comps in my house run the 29.42 drivers

You may be right I haven't played half-life in about a year now. I hope it's machine specific, but half-life may very well be a ticking time-bomb. Are all your systems AMDs, because I've had bad stability experiences with their architecture and therefore don't own any AMDs?