Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
areid

CDRW problems with XP

I am running a laptop with XP pro and a DVD CDRW combo. The inbuilt OS CDRW facilities are virtually useless, so I installed Nero 5.5 on the laptop (which worked fine on my previous W2K desktop machine). Reading + writing to/from the CD are ok, but there are still 2 big problems...

a) When I change disks, Windows explorer still shows the file-listing for the old disk. Refreshing does nothing. Restarting explorer does nothing (although there is disk activity). Only rebooting the laptop produces the correct file-listing on the new disk.

B) Executable files copied to the CDRW on one machine cannot be executed on the laptop machine (I get the message "xyz is not a 32 bit application"), but if I download the same .exe directly onto the XP machine, it executes with no problem.

Has anyone any experience with Nero on a XP pro machine?

Will upgrading to the XP version of Nero solve this problem (and will it work ok on the W2K machine)?

What about DirectCD (comes with EasyCD creator)? Is that any better?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan Harris-Reid

Did you install InCD as well? if so, uninstall just that [leaving Nero in] & see if the problem is still there.

I suggest you stay away from anything adaptec in the cdr software sense. Have you checked for a new bios for your CD-RW? have you applied the cd-r patch to windows XP? and which version of Nero r u using. Try up[censored] to the latest if not already using it.

Your problem is caused by something going wrong while burning the CD somehow. And also note XP has a realy bad attidude when it comes to burning.

InCD offers CD-MRW (Mount-Rainier) useful with latest Lite-On firmware and new drives. The latest version solved glitches with XP. Simply upgrade to this and keep Nero 5.5.

If overclocking, check the Dram Timings & Control page in the Bios and disable «Read around Write» and «Continuous Dram Request». Those advanced Turbo options are a nuisance to proper CD-RW operation.

Dismountable media delay can be accessed in My Computer, Right click, Manage, Removable Storage, Libraries, Right click CD-RW, Properties though it is better to let it be.

Portable and desktop do not hold the same kernel driver libraries and the second problem was also devised as a normal XP operation.

In another thread, someone said something about compatibility issues between InCD & certain VIA chipsets. I haven't tried InCD since before I upgraded my mobo & CPU, so if the above is true, then perhaps it might work ok with my current setup. It was very annoying the last time I ran it - it was causing the exact same prob as areid described in his 1st problem, & the problem went away as soon as I uninstalled InCD. Maybe I'll try the latest version just before I do my next re-install from scratch [that way, if it buggers anything up, it doesn't really matter :D]

InCD is a clever program that makes your PC think that the CDRW drive is just another disk drive. Hence, from Windows Explorer you would simply drag a file from C:\ to the Cdrom drive just as you would copy to a floppy. InCD intercepts this and burns the file onto the Rewriteable CD. It only works with rewritable CD's and it only burns the files as UDF's. If a different PC does not have a UDF reader program installed, the CD will be indeciferable to it.

When InCD first came out, Nero's webpage plainly stated that it was incompatible with some VIA chipsets. This was several months ago and InCD has gone through a few iterations so this may no longer be the case.

It also likes to install itself on bootup and it is a little piggy with resources devouring almost 5K.

A whole 5K???? Not sure I can spare that. laugh

Several months ago??? I was using it under 98SE before XP came out - since I got my CDRW, which I reckon has to be more than a year now. smile

As to the initialised @ boot issue, I just used to disable it unless I was using it