Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrestine

Asus A7N266-C Windows XP Problems

I just completed a new system based on the Asus A7N266-C mainboard w/Windows XP Pro. The system also has the following:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ (NOT overclocked)

1mb Samsung PC2700 333mhz DDR RAM (512mb=slot-1, 512mb=slot-2)

MSI GeForce3 TI 200 video card (IRQ-10)

SoundBlaster Audigy 1394 (SB=IRQ-5, 1394=IRQ-9)

Promise Ultra-66 PCI IDE Controller (IRQ-11)

Internal USB enabled (IRQ-9)

RealTek NIC (IRQ-9)

Western Digital 100gb Special Edition Hard Drive ©

Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM Drive (D)

Plextor 40x12x40 CDRW (E)

NEC Internal ATAPI Zip Drive (F)

LS120 Floppy Drive (A)

Latest Asus Beta BIOS (1003.002)

Latest nVidia nForce drivers

Standard PC HAL intalled (APM enabled)

System is stable and fast. I have two major problems that I can't seem to resolve:

1. Windows XP will not shut down automatically; reboots instead.

2. Motherboard diagnostic and temperature monitoring utilities will not work (Asus Probe, Motherboard Monitor, Sisoft Sandra, etc...). All programs lock up; fail to load; or, even fail to install.

I've tried all manner of workarounds for these problems and nothing seems to work. I've disabled the automatic reboot on failure feature and disabled the Windows XP logoff sound. I did intall this board with the Beta BIOS and had USB mouse and keyboard connected when installing the O/S. Any ideas on how to fix either of these two problems? Thanx in advance.

Mike Restine, Sr.

Apparently, Microsoft blames Roxio for this one in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q311806

The other thing to check is that you have Power Management enabled in Bios and then in XP double-click the Power Options icon in Control Panel, select the APM tab, and turn on the Enable Advanced Power Management support option.

If these are not the problem, let us know.

No Roxio stuff installed. APM is enabled already. Someone on the Athlonmb forum informed me that the nForce does not support APM, only ACPI and APIC (whatever that is...). Looks like I'll have to perform a clean install of the O/S with the ACPI HAL instead of the APM HAL. Thanx for the quick reply.

Mike, Sr.

Not sure if any of this will help, but in case it does...

I'm using XP on an Asus A7N266-C, though I'm using the original BIOS. One thing I've noticed: it doesn't like to shut down properly with USB devices attached, sometimes I'll need to manually power down after the mouse pointer doesn't move anymore. It'll shut down fine without anything in the USB though.

So you could try using a PS/2 Keyboard and mouse temporarily, and see if that helps any.

Also, nvidia has new nForce drivers you could try out. (I might try them out soon myself)

Well, I performed the clean install of XP with ACPI and the system shuts down properly now. Asus Probe still doesn't work. When the program starts, it says that it can't find the "LMR" or something like that (I can't remember exactly; it was late last night by the time I got around to messing with that particular piece of software...). Am I missing a BIOS setting or something? I didn't install any Asus drivers for the board; I used the latest nVidia nForce drivers instead (looks like just basic chipset, AGP and memory drivers; no nForce IDE drivers that I can see...). These are the latest version, 1.05 I think. Thanx.

Mike

So Asus probe is the only thing not working? Might wanna check and see if they have a new version of it available. If that's the only thing that's not working, I wouldn't worry too much.

A couple of sites you might wanna check out: AMDMB in the Asus section of the forums, and NForcersHQ

Yeah, I downloaded a newer version of Asus Probe and it workds fine now. So does the latest version of Sandra. Motherboard Monitor will require some more research though. I heard that it needs some tweaks to get it working. Thanx for the reply.

Mike, Sr.