Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shassouneh

OpenOffice Error

Dear All, I have just installed OpenOffice 1.0 form OpenOffice.org. The install went OK as it seems, but OpenOffice ALWAYS seems to not open up. EVERY SINGLE TIME I attempt to Open up OpenOffice or any of its components I get the following error:

opoff_error.bmp

Note that I have tried everything from a re-install to a reboot, yet it does thie EVERY SINGLE TIME. I'm using The J2SDK 1.4.0 from java.sun.com. Any ideas please?

I repeat, this error occurs every single time OpenOffice or any of its components are to be opened.

Note: I am running Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 2 and the latest compatibility update.

There is just no way of knowing what is causing the problem from a message like this. You would need a software engineer from Open Office running a debugger on the program through your machine over the net to find out. You can run DrWatson and it will bring up the error log, but again it really won't tell you a lot. I had a problem like this and it turned out to be some fonts that the program couldn't tolerate, but from the message from DrWatson, you would never have suspected it.

Hmmm, I c. Thanx for the tip Sampson. Here's what I'll do, I'll bring up Dr. Watson and post its feedback here. It may not be very helpful as you said, but at least its something...

I believe that we have been down this road with you before - with your heat problem and with your disk/mp3 problem. Third time should be a charm.

Oh yeah, we've been here before. Could it be that this is another slighly more advanced trolling scheme ?

H.

Can't see the error. What is it? OpenOffice has always opened fine for me in 7+ installations so far on different computers. Didn't open once just once because Windows had messed up and I had to reboot....

It's the typical box that simply says "Open Office has generated errors" and there is an OK button.

Weeirdd. Never gotten that one before. I dunno if there are any logs files that OpenOffice generates either. I doubt it. You should prob;y do what Sampson said. Email Sun. laugh

Quote:

I believe that we have been down this road with you before - with your heat problem and with your disk/mp3 problem. Third time should be a charm.

What'sthat supposed to mean Sampson? Do I sense sarcasm?

Anyways, I just tried Dr. Watson and all it does is display a silly dialog saying no errors detected.I tried to find some logs in the Computer Managament console but I couldn't locate the log file(s) that might describe this problem.
Reminder: This problem occurs EVERY TIME any of the OpenOffice components are to be run. I did try to reboot, and I even did try to uninstall/re-install but none of that helped.

Use the Run command and type the following: drwtsn32 . It will bring up an interface whether you have errors or not because it will allow you to browse in any of several profiles where error logs can be generated. It will NEVER bring up a message that says "no errors detected". Apparently, you are having a problem with Watson as well as Open Office.

Look Shash, we've been here before like Sampson said. You are beyond help because you do twenty things at once, and either repeat your info endlessly (see above "every single time" 3x already in this thread) or you do something else than suggested, or you reply with OK, I'll do that when... I don't believe that you've even bothered to check out any of the 658 google results on "failed OpenOffice 1.0 install"

Sampsons first reply to you really said it all - why don't you just do that ? If you read his answer carefully, he was actually telling you that Drwatson will not tell you a whole lot - not that you should post what it tells you.

H.

DirtyHarry there is no need for a sharp tone bro. FYI I DID search on google and I found multiple results but still not very helpful. I figured I'd consult the people here in NTCompatible. Chill Bro. If it irritates you so much to read my topics, nobody is forcing you to read them let alone participate in them.

Geez, talk about being unwelcome.