Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
serket

Gainward GF4 Ti4200 64mb

Hello fellas,

My friend has a problem with his gf4 card that he recently bought.

The problem is simple PC crashes in winme after some time usually 5 min after boot.

his system specs:

abit kt7a

256mb PC-133

TB 1.4ghz

sb live

HDD matrox 40gig

cdrw

gf4 gainward ti42 64mb tv/dvi

hec 300w psu

Video card isnt overclocked and never hot (same as cpu). He tried different driver/s settings and bios settings, even lowered fsb to 100mhz.

Looks like nothing helps smirk

Before that he had GF2 GTS which worked fine.

Maybe it's dead GF4 ? Does anybody met such problem before ?

It all depends on how you installed the gf4. Nvidia seems to insist on having you change the video driver to Standard VGA first before installing their software.

So, change the video driver to Standard VGA. You will possibly be prompted to reboot. Go ahead. Then, go into Control Panel and Click on Add/Remove Software and remove all Nvidia, Gainward software. Using Windows Explorer do a find on Nv*.* to find any old drivers used previously by the gf2 card and delete them. Since you are using ME, most of them will be in \windows\system . Then, put your CD that came with the gf4 and install the new software for the gf4. This will at least get the right drivers working with the board. The only way to check out the board is to put it into another computer using these same procedure and see if it will run for longer than 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tip, though this process should apply by default laugh guess that why i havent thought about it. I'll let him know.

erm and sorry for posting WinME related stuff in XP forum laugh happened by default coz i use winxp and check xp forums only