Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

If you reseal XP Pro do you have to reinstall all your progr

Hi-

Reseal is a function in the WinXP OEM preinstall kit... I suspect you know that or else you wouldn't be asking. wink Anyway, the idea is that the OEM uses the preinstall functions to install whatever software, updates, branding, etc. they want on the system. Once that's done, the install can be resealed & the computer delievered. All that happens then is that the end user has to go through the activation steps again and agree to the EULAs. Then once they boot to the desktop, they'll see whatever you left for them, be it branding opportunities, software patches, links, or whatever. Just don't overdo it! smile

-Chuck

OEM versions do not need activated.

The only software that has to be installed by you is any that you installed, the software that was installed in the `puter when you got it is installed when you re-install windows.

That is the case with all the PC`s on sale here in the UK, Packard Bells have Windows and the software in a hidden partition, all you do is use the recovery floppy to install the lot, that takes time. In my sons PC (Pentium3), 2 1/2 hours.

And I didn`t know what you meant by resealing, that would be a term in the USA but not here.

It is possible for a PC to come with them all installed I suppose, and you get a lot of CD`s, then you have install them.

He's not referring to a reinstall that the end-user would perform with the OEM disk. The term reseal is something done by the actual manufacturer during a system build. It closes the WinXP Preinstall process done by the OEM with the preinstallation CD. It isn't something that ever is done by the consumer.

i bought XP home OEM and i have to active it over the internet or phone

i had to buy a mouse with it to use it tho

p.s what the different between OEM and retail

i'm running the OEM and it seems the same... no OEM stuff in it.. like dell and compaq ;

*****-OEM-******-*****

that's what it says in system properites

the stars are supposed to be numbers but i can't tell them to you..sorry