Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thymios

making IE 6 handling more than 2 concurrent downloads

I'm sorry i am asking this again, but i couldn't find it from a quick search i did on the forum. What was that registry tweak that allows you to make IE handle more than 2-3 concurrent downloads at any time?

This sets the max connections to 16. Set the dword to whatever values you want, remember it is in hex.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=dword:00000010

"MaxConnectionsPerServer"=dword:00000010

Quote:

I'm sorry i am asking this again, but i couldn't find it from a quick search i did on the forum. What was that registry tweak that allows you to make IE handle more than 2-3 concurrent downloads at any time?

Use GetRight wink

Don't know the answer to that 1, however I use Mass Downloader. The latest versioin is a pain - I foget why I didn't decide to stick with it & went back to v1.2.95, but it's a good prog - I think they also make a free IE plug in that does a similar job.....

Ah - just had a read of their website & apparently the plugin version doesn't appear to include the queing function, which definitely comes in handy. It may still allow you to do multiple downloads though.

Thanks a lot for the tip. I use getright already but there are some sites that don't allow download managers to work. As a result if you donwload something with getright you get an error message instead of the file. Damn scripts!!

I find that there aren't that many I can't get with Mass Downloader. If it's a small file - less than 5MB - & it doesn't wanna download with MD then I usually just do it the normal way through IE. If it's bigger & especially if it's 1 of several files, or if it starts to download in IE but it goes really slow, then I will do my best to find the true path to the file so that I can get MD to download it. 1 trick I use in these circumstances is to use GoZilla [it's about the only useful thing GoZilla can do!]. I don't actually download the file with GZ, I just get it to detect the true URL of the file so that I can copy'n'paste it to MD.

Another reason I like MD is that it uses multi-threading to increase the efficiency & speed of the download [upto the maximum of your bandwidth - assuming the computer @ the other end can actually send that fast :)]

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the tip. I use getright already but there are some sites that don't allow download managers to work. As a result if you donwload something with getright you get an error message instead of the file. Damn scripts!!

I've found setting your GetRight User Agent to that of a real web browser (having the program tell the server that "GetRight" is downloading the file is a dead giveaway...) and telling it to generate a referrer from the download URL helps a lot when getting files from sites like that.

Alien: GetRight can do that multithreaded downloading thing too it's just made user-selectable by default. It can be set up to be automatic but for smaller downloads (say, less than 100Mb) it's just not worth it.

That depends on how slow the download is going as a single threaded action, & how urgently you need the file. Plus MD's queing function & the fact that with the right settings it will keep trying to get the file until it gets it [for example if you keep losing connection to the server @ the other end], without having to start again from the beginning [well, that works on 99% of servers - some block resuming, in which case it would have to start over].