Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CyberGenX

Venting here

1. 1. Sharepoint migration 2010

• Migrating to Sharepoint 2010

There is a guy at our place in a very well paid I.T. position that thinks he has to upgrade to ActiveX8.1 to play the latest games.

I kid you not ;(

I might sound silly but is there an active X 8.1,

My occasional games install something when they think they need it... So i never pay any attention.

DirectX maybe. ActiveX are what replaced VBXs in VB (Visual Basic).

Ouch! I fell for it....

Long day at the office I guess. It just looked so familiar.

Originally posted by CyberGenX:

Quote:
I love overhearing a conversation at eateries where the person talking has no clue about PCs yet is trying to impress their friend who probably never used one. My favorite is when people confuse hard disk space with memory. "How much RAM do you have Bob? "Oh I got like 40 Gigabytes of RAM, still doesn't seem to be enough though." LOL

lol - I never tire of hearing people who think they are competent with computers swapping RAM for Hard Drive space. As I don't currently work in the IT industry (hopefully in the future), I can't really share that many horror stories, but I am the unoffical computer advice person for the family - and it does get tiring showing somebody how to burn a CD each time they want to burn one - I don't claim to be a computer expert, more of a savvy user - experience from years of use (first comp as a child was TI-99/4a, tho I never did much Basic or anything like that on it), but relative to some people I have assisted, I am a demigod of computers. If these people would actually consult the manuals, or the internet, they would find they would learn much more about computers by at least trying to fix some problems themselves (though I do recognize that many of you rely on the ignorance of such users for your well being).

Coming to Theatres next summer: Dawn of the Zombie Threads Part 42!

Originally posted by dosfreak:

Quote:
Coming to Theatres next summer: Dawn of the Zombie Threads Part 42!

Isn't George Romero coming out with another flick this summer, "Land of the Dead" laugh

Cool, the zombie mod gets to post on the zombie thread. This forum looks familiar, but I just can't place it...

smile

I had some guy insisting that a 3DFX V3 3000 was more powerful than a GeForce 4 Ti4600...or something like that. This was also after 3DFX was long gone and the V3 was no longer a high-end card.

You want horror? Try working as a IT Tech Co-Op in a high school *groans*. You wouldn't believe the questions. My personal favorite: "My printer isn't working, could you come take a look?" *one hour later testing drivers & cables* I look at the printer, and what does it say on the LED display? "OFFLINE" *sigh* I hit the power button and BAM, every document they had tried to load in the last four weeks. FOUR WEEKS. Before coming to tell us it wasn't working, started to print.

Then there is the Labs, we'll go into one and start upgrading the hardware of some of the older P3s and removing some of the Celeron 433s and P2s, and we'll see three computers with lined paper taped to their monitors saying "Doesn't Work". How long have they been like that? WHO KNOWS!

And mouse balls. Don't get me started on those.

And we had a few good P4s come in, and we assigned one per Lab, the rest went to office staff. Now, I kid you not, but the teachers, when their class is over, will walk out of the room, and NOT close the door behind them (the doors are always locked) thus leaving these rooms full of hard to find and expensive hardware (you try locating 128/256Mb SDRAM sticks for a fair price these days) open to the students. We found a brand new P4 2.66GHz opened up, stripped, the motherboard had been shorted, and the 512Mb of DDR400 was stolen. Lovely.

Ahh, the joys of Education.