Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pr-man

What do you consider the best computer game ever made?

System Shock 1

Fallout 1

Jane's Longbow 1

Unreal

Freespace 2

Want the most bang for your buck?

This game is First-Person, Action, Adventure, Role Playing, Horror, Sci-Fi, and Suspense all in one. It is the single greatest single-player genre-bending game I know (yes, better than "Deus Ex"), and also the only one that has repeatedly scared and startled me. It also plays just fine on W2K and WinXP (just run "setup.exe -LGNTFORCE" to install). Those who haven't listed it in this thread haven't played the game. It's called System Shock 2.

Those who don't like to be frightened need not apply. It's rated mature, so the young ones should not play it. Yes, it's won numerous Game of the Year Awards. Yes, it has multiplayer co-op mode, though you shouldn't use it your first time through. And if anyone knows how to make a multiplayer game play in the "impossible" difficulty level, please let me know. wink

Adventure/Strategy:

Starcraft and Warcraft (I,II,III) (Blizzard rocks!)

Sports: NHL99 (the one I played the most), Tony Hawk 3, Hardball 5

FPS: The Doom series, Duke3d, The Quake Series, MaxPayne

Simulation: SimCity 2000 without any doubt

Racing: The Need For Speed Serie, IndyCar Racing, Grand Prix 2, Rally Champ 2000

Command&Conquer

Red Alert 1

M.U.L.E. (c64)

Quake and Doom Series

Duke3d

I think anything written by Scott Adams has always been at the top of my list: Adventure Land, Pirate's Adventure, Mystery Fun House, Pyramid, Mission Impossible, Ghost Town, Strange Odyssey ...

The best game of all time is Lemmings. I especially like

Lemmings 3 (The Chronicles), Lemmings 2 (The Tribes), and Lemmings The Revolution.

Here's some other games I like.

Half Life

Quake II

Unreal Tournament

Descent II Multiplayer smile

(I used to play that at night, and when I'd lie down I would float around in 3 dimensions[all in my head of course]).

Pandemonium

Nintendo:

California Games

Win 3.1:

Pipe Dream

Rodent's Revenge

Dos Games:

Brix

Eittris (Dos and recently a Windows Freeware game)

Jill of the Jungle (Dos Classic)

I've already listed Star Control 2 in a previous post, but there's good news...

The creators of SC2 are remaking it to run in windows! (original ran in DOS) And it's going to be free!

A classic for free. laugh (gamespot news link - ignore all the SC3 stuff: GS doesn't have an SC2 section and apparently didn't to make one for a news article. SC3 wasn't made by the same people, so don't make any assumptions about SC2 based on what you see listed for SC3)

I can't believe it.

- Age of Empires (RoR)/ Age of Kings / AoK The Conquerors

I started playing AoE in 1998 and I am still a big fan of AoK TC! Best RTS game ever, really.

- Lemmings was also an addictive game - but many years ago smile

- Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem brings back nice memories, it's the time when I played multiplayer for the first time via phone line

- Unreal/UT are great shooters

- Quake III Arena and Team Arena are evergreens

Star Control 2 is the best game of all time.

Privateer and Crusader series were both great (both by Origin). There was gonna be part 3 for both games (Privateer 3 was in design stage not sure about Crusader 3) then Origin focus on online games. Too bad Origin is gone because their games always force you to upgrade your computer.

For me it has to be the following:

Gunship 2000 (too many hours were spent playing this)

Lemmings (ditto)

Grand Prix 1 & 2 (ditto)

Flight Sim 4 (ditto)

Ultima 7 (so so so addictive)

Quake 1 & 2 (played both of these games to death especially quake2 as I was online properly when it was released and was able to help start the online commmunity ... the first and last time I would do such a thing but It was fun smile )

Command & Conquer (Dune 2 was always a missed affair with me but C&C really did get everything right ... for me anyway)

Elite (the sequels didn't feel right somehow ... the combat in elite 2 and first enc. was really bad)

well

the original Arcade games:

PacMan

Super Mario Bros.

Arcanoid (sp?)

God, the quaters i spent, i could be rather wealthy if i saved all the money i spent back then on Arcade games! (thnx dad for the funding..lol)

PC for me

1. Delta force II and LW

2. Civilization II / III

3. Diablo II (till III comes out if they do it)

4. Warcraft II

5. Ms Combat flight sim (the first one)

6. Star Wars Rebellion (wicked game, old but wicked!!!!) - by far a kew RTS game and great multiplayer!

das all my head can think of.

Oh boy......so many games......

Um.....

Civilisation

Wolf3D

Doom 1&2

Quake

Quake 2

MoH:AA

RtcW

Dark Forces

Jedi Knight

Jedi Outcast

Diablo

Diablo 2

Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction add-on

Max Payne

That would be all I can think of.....

And yes I do remember River Raid........ I Loved that Game......

Diablo 2 is the only game I have been able to install and keep installed for longer than 6 months. It is also the only game I have been able to play and not lose interest for more than 2 months. Games like Soldier of Fortune, Superbike 2001, the original Diablo. Some RPGs, some action games. I have installed and either uninstalled immediately after viewing only for 10 minutes or I have beaten them and lost interest immediately. (Dungeon Siege is a good example of "quick fix" gaming).

So Diablo 2 would be my pick.

Now if you said console gaming, then you've got me stumped, and I would have to play all of the games again to compare. Of course, it would only be Nintendo or Super Nintendo, because they've brought out the best games for consoles.

Games are getting even better, even better than Xbox and PS2.

People says the PC are going down, I'l say wrong!!!! more better games are coming. Watch out for Doom 3, Unreal2 and Tornment 2,

I vote for Jedi Knight 2 is the best game. Cause of the wicked lightsaber and force. Awesome!! smile

^^^^

true true,

but PC's will never go down, cause consolses can never do what PC's do, and never will be able to do all that PC's do, cause then they would not be 'gaming consoles" now would they.

My personal Favs..

System Shock 2

Thief 1 and 2

Quake 2 and many mods

Half Life, Firearms, and CS (up to beta 4, anything after that was crap)

Galaga

Samurai Shodown

Street Fighter (arcade Only...no console crap)

Fallout 1 and 2

Planescape Torment

thems be the games i wouldn't mind playing over and over. Anything else gets the once maybe twice treatment

The one I keep playing and playing is

UNREAL TOURNAMENT

of course there is always

Load Runner (classic)

Quote:

^^^^

true true,

but PC's will never go down, cause consolses can never do what PC's do, and never will be able to do all that PC's do, cause then they would not be 'gaming consoles" now would they.

I don't know about that, with the way that the Xbox is going, in the next 5 years, it may become an all-purpose box that does TV, Music, Games, Applications, etc. all in one easy to setup box.

@ the moment I'd have to say Dungeon Seige. Very addictive, nice graphice, & IMO well thought out. Just when you think you've gotten too good for it & that you can beat any baddies that come your way, when along comes something, or several somethings that very nearly beat your characters to a pulp, & puts you back on your guard.

I also love the gory effects when you make the various monsters explode. laugh

You've had that? I think during the entire time I suffered through DS, I almost died once, and that was in Hard mode, in that spot with the gremlings.

The rest of the game was easy, the ending was horribly easy to win over. DS is one of those "quick fix" games, you play it, you beat it, you remove it. I was never addicted to the game, and I've played almost every RPG there is, console or PC.