Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

Privateer 2: The Darkening

Yo

Just wanted to check really, does anyone have this running under 2000/XP, ive got the original DOS version and i cant even get it to install correctly, authough i can actually run the install program under XP which is more than i could do in 2000.

Anyone have any luck, im almost willing to build a small win98 pc just to play this game, authough i doubt my MS joystick will work in DOS frown

Anyway....anyone have any luck with this? I really wannna play this classic space game frown

Origin later released Privateer 2 Deluxe (try ebay to buy one) which runs under Win2k/XP, but way too fast. Actually, I´m looking for a working slowdown util to play the game, but the ones I´ve found so far don´t work.

The original Privateer 2 (the DOS Version) ran fine in a DOS box under Win98SE, no real DOS mode needed. However, I don´t know if USB joysticks work in a DOS box.

Thanks for the reply smile Looks like ill try building a Win98 Pc later tonight then, you rekon Win ME would do the job ok?

I always preferred not to use WinME, so the best thing I can do concerning this specific OS is guessing.

What WinME does not have is the ability to boot in DOS mode like it was possible with Win95, 98 and 98SE. There is however the option to obtain the necessary files from several sources on the net. With that you should be able to boot into DOS mode but since I´ve never tried that (like I said above, I never had WinME), I don´t know how well, if at all, it works.

In DOS box under Windows however, I think it would be possible to run the game. If not, just downgrade to Win98SE.

Besides, I´m just assembling an old 486 DX50 and a Pentium 266. First machine is for old DOS games only (like Privateer 1 and Quarantine, from which i finally got the uncensored US Version wink ), the last one is for performance hungry DOS titles like Hi Octane and early Win9x games like POD.

Does anyone know what one has to do to hook up three PCs to one speaker system? If I remember correctly there was some electrical circuit to assemble to stop the soundcards (one for each computer) to interfere with each other? I can´t find it on the net for some strange reason...

Edit:

is there a switch that not just switches one keyboard, one mouse and one screen to several connected PCs, but a joystick, too?

Ok thanks alot for the help Preacher smile Ill go with win98 to be on the safe side, the pc will be a k6-2-300mhz so should run P2 ok (i hope) laugh

I dont think it will run slow at max underclock :P

the first game where you have to "underclock" your CPU to play it smooth smile (otherwise its way to smooth smile

Well i couldnt resist playing with the dos version. It now kinda works in XP.

As long as you run it in win95 compat mode, in 256 colours, with themes disabled it installs fine, the mouse even works! laugh

I had to copy the contents of the CDs into the directory on the C:\ drive and edit then dark.cfg(?) file to point to the correct location.

The game then runs fine but i cant get my ms digital joystick working but im gonna try an old ch flightstick pro on it later.

Anyway, apart from that it all works, even have sounds laugh

I wish there was a way to make the new Joysticks work with old games... I have the same problem on USNF97 and ATF Gold.

Privateer 1 and 2 are also the pain...

It just is not the same without a stick.

Addition:

VDM Loader claims it can emulate it, but i haven't had any luck with it. But then i haven't tried hard enough yet. if anybody succeeds please share it here smile

I think you can get privateer 2 working with the joystick by manually entering the calibration info into the priv2.cfg file. Didnt have a chance to try it yesterday but ill see if i can have a go later.

Quote:

I think you can get privateer 2 working with the joystick by manually entering the calibration info into the priv2.cfg file. Didnt have a chance to try it yesterday but ill see if i can have a go later.

How did it go? also do you have some reference on configuring Joysticks? or just mail me the config file if not much trouble. My meager knowledge of various programming skills does not extend to such a high level smile

hello I got privateer to work on DOSbox but i hve trouble saving games (well I can't save games)...lol...can any1 help me?

Cheers...

Dimithri

I came across this site the other day, and it has saved me the trouble of buying the Deluxe edition on eBay, and/or building a Windows 98 box...

http://perli.net/projekte/privateer2win95/

On that site, there is a patch, as well as instructions, on how to turn the DOS instalation disk into a Windows instalation disk.

Copy the first disk to a new folder on your hard drive, apply the patch to the folder, overwrite the files as necessary, and then burn all of the files (NOT the folder) onto a blank disk, and viola! Instant Deluxe Version of Privateer 2.

The second and third disks are apparently the same regardless of version, since I'm having no trouble transitioning through the game now, as it asks for each new disk.