Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alien

PowerDVD & .mp2 files

I can manage to play all the file types that I've tried in PowerDVD Xp 4, but for some reason I can't get the stills capture function to work with .mp2 files [which is the extension ATI's video capture prog saves files in if you want to use MPEG2]. It [PowerDVD] will capture stills from .mpg [MPEG1]. .wmv, & DivX .avi files, just not .mp2 files. I tried changing a file's extension from .mp2 to .mpg, but it makes no difference - the stills capture button is still greyed out. frown

Now that I think of it, I'm sure I've had it working before, but I also remember haing this prob before - I just don't know what it is that makes the difference.....

<sudden moment of inspiration>

...Ok, I think I found what makes the difference - it depends on whether you have the Video -> Hardware Acceleration option turned on - if it's off you can capture stills, otherwise you can't. Anyone got any ideas as to why this is?

More weirdness - having tried both on & off, & I think it actually looks better with hardware acceleration off!!!

does your vid card support hard ware acceleration?

perhaps it may not, on my ati all in wonder 128 rage card, it would have that turn on, and it slowed down play back to a choopy level.

Quote:

does your vid card support hard ware acceleration?

perhaps it may not, on my ati all in wonder 128 rage card, it would have that turn on, and it slowed down play back to a choopy level.
Yes it does, it's a Radeon 64MB DDR ViVo. I don't know what it would look like with a DVD as I am still without a DVD drive, the .mp2 files are just from me recording TV progs. It's not a question of artifacting, like trying to watch a high res MPEG2 file on a slower machine, it's more subtle than that. Not really sure I can explain. It's not a vast difference, but it is noticeable. It's kinda like the difference between really good reception on your TV & slightly below-par reception.

I have a geforce2MX and my playback is a hell of a lot better with pdvd4 if I turn the hardware off as well.

The picture is a lot more fluid and less 'bouncy' i suppose is the best way I can describe it.

Dilligaf