Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Me

How do i remove the build# from the desktop

I'm not sure how to remove it permanently. But, under display properties, if you change your desktop to active and uncheck the option to show home page on desktop, the version/ build info will disappear after login.

JK

Well, I've searched the forum right through and can't find it. I'd be interested to know how to do it.

I have X-Setup, which is a registry tweaking program, it has the option to display/remove the build/version details, but it doesn't seem to work either.

Hmm...I don't remeber what the reg key was (if I find it, I'll post it) but if the Tweak tool doesn't do it under RC3, then it's almost certain that MS changed it 'cos people were disabling it smile.gif

Anyway, what does it matter? It only shows up on the desktop, and only in pre-release builds, so BFD...

the registry hack doesnt work, it only worked for beta3 or something. only way is that active desktop thing, but many will say that it eats up resources, you have to weight it yourself, resources or version info. tough choice huh!

chameleon win2kbox.8m.com

This worked on RC1, but I go there in RC3 and it already is (0)??

Tip of the Week Daily Windows 2000 Q and A For some reason, you may want to remove that version number of Windows 2000 on the desktop. And if so, there are two ways to hide it: Turn on the Active Desktop With the registry editor: go into HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop and on the right panel, find "PaintDesktopVersion". There, just set the value to "0".