Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JP-

Doom III

I was just wondering what everyone thought of doom 3 so far, authough we havent really seen much on it, i have seen screenshots and various movie and some ingame footage.

Kinda looks like the usual quake2 with better graphics frown I really like interactivity with the enviroment (like duke nukem 3D) and outdoor areas (like unreal) but i have a feeling it wont include either of these frown

Certainly looks impressive but there is more to a game than just graphics. ID software seem to be great at making engines but not so good with the actual game frown

Anyway, just wondered what everyone thought of it really smile

Well, considering how badly they did on Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I don't have high hopes for Doom III. They let you run around at 300mph, the implementation of weapons sucked, every area was set up to be an ambush, the AI sucked, you couldn't even think about trying to be stealthy, etc etc etc. Medal of Honor shows how a WWII shooter can be done right; I kept wanting to play it. I lost interest in RTCW during the hokey "monsters in the crypt" spiel...

The original Doom was cool because of the various environments. Doom II started that stupid "everything brown" trend at ID.

It will however, push current graphics to their limits and replace Quake III as the "my $599 graphics card gets me 193.43 fps in the QIII bench!"

ID didn't mess up RTCW.

It was:

Produced by Activision

Developed by Gray Matter

Multiplayer by Nerve

Engine by ID Software (Quake III Engine)

I don't care who had a hand in RtCW--it still sucked!

Not really much of a Quake or Doom fan, and I'm waiting for Unreal 2 and UT 2003:D

I liked rtcw also i tohught it was one of the most detailed games i have seen, but we all have our differences

RTCW was great, could've been way better, but it was still great, hopefully Doom 3 will be good, just as long as you don't need a GeForce 5 to get 60fps, but, it will probably suck bad.

Here's my prediction:

It will have great graphics and smooth gameplay, but lack in overall funfactor and replayability, and if you need a GeForce5 to get it to run good, it'll suck even more because people won't upgrade a $1000+ system for a $50 game....I know i won't.

Eh who cares.

The screenies on Gamespy look damn cool.

Especially if like has been said, they are only on "medium" settings.

indeed it looks so good in 'medium' settings imagine high ones wink

i think doom3 will be great

As far as I know ID said that the new DOOM will be just a remake of an old DOOM. So, as for me they would better make a good graphics but leave the game athmosphere alone i.e. as it was in DOOM or DOOM2. Espacialy it concernes the monsters. In my opinion they just have to be the same as in old DOOM (certenly in 3D smile ). Personally I WANT THE GOOD OLD DOOM BACK IN BRAND NEW "SUIT"!!!

But in a view of new trailer from E3 it is doubtfully they'll do it. It's not exactly the game I expected to see frown

Sorry for my bad English, but it is doubtfully that some of you know Russian or Ulrainian smile (no offence, realy...)

And one more thing, it's not an advertisment - it's a some kind of proposal or smth. like that... visit our conference espacially created for the english-speaking users. Why do I recommend it? Because it's an official site of one of the most useful tweak utility for the NVIDIA cards - RivaTuner. And of course the official site of "SoftQuadro" script. Are you interested in? Just visit it and you won't be disappointed - http://www.nvworld.mu/cgi/forumdisplay.c...&LastLogin=

My prediction for Doom3: it will contain lots of brown.

Can't see iD changing the habit of a lifetime!

AndyF laugh

Quote:

My prediction for Doom3: it will be all graphics and no game.
Can't see iD changing the habit of a lifetime!

laugh:P

Seriously, until I get rock solid proof (and by proof I don't mean hordes of idiot fanboys telling me, including the ones who write for gaming magazines/sites) that Doom 3 is going to be anything more than just Doom with pretty graphics I'm not going to get excited about it. Of course, even if it is it'll still seel brilliantly because a) Everything John Carmack touches turns to gold and B) the majority of modern gamers don't really give a **** about anything other than a games graphics.

my friend is pumped about it, I'm not that excited, I like driving/GTA-type games more.

Doom 3 is going to be the best game, looking at the graphics, ever. What use to be the intro movie of a game (with high quality rendered animations) is now the game itself. Play this game in a dark room with a headset and you WILL **** your pants. I saw every movie there's is to find about this game. This game is not going to rock. It's going to ROCK, ROCK, ROCK and then ROCK somemore!!!!

My prediction....graphics = amazing, gameplay = ok. I dont think ill be getting it though, these new Unreal games look far more fun smile

Quote:

Doom 3 is going to be the best game, looking at the graphics, ever.
More to a game than the graphics. Like gameplay, atmosphere, story, sound, interface...

Want to play a good game in a dark room with a headset? Try System Shock 2. This game is still the best single player FPS game I've played. Hopefully Unreal ][ or DX2 will change that.

Yes, System Shock 2 was probably the best atmosphere game ever! Play it at midnight in a darkened room, frantically running around, desperately scrapping up ammunition... it was a blast!

It just needs better graphics and a new "everyone's dead" story and bam, you got a great sequal!

Ah, yes. There definately needs to be a System Shock 3. Ya hear that, Ion Storm! When you're done with Theif ]I[, it's System Shock 3, understood? It's only right!

Bring it on, SHODAN! I'm ready for you, Beyotch.

Quote:

Originally posted by AndyFair
My prediction for Doom3: it will be all graphics and no game.
[/b]
laugh:P

Quote:

My prediction for Doom3: it will contain lots of brown.

confused ??? confused
Well, I know which version I posted, and it didn't make any remarks about the gameplay!

AndyF

Partially I thought I was playing WWII Resident Evil than a Wolfenstein successor. Same with the Doom III footage.

I too kept asking myself why id software went on that trend to make everything darker and darker, then I was enlightened by someone. The reason is the fans want it that way!.

So now I say don´t care about fans and start using brains. If the fans aren´t satisfied with what the programmers delivered they better start making the fitting mods.

I sure wish Doom III would continue where Doom 2 ended, both gameplay- and color richness wise, but I fear that licensees will make more of the Doom III engine, just like Voyager: Elite Force did with the Q3 engine.

Once Doom III is out I will be very disappointed because it´s the same brainless shooter id keeps producing for several years now. Another 30-40 bucks down the drain.