Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bursar

How to export Outlook 2002 settings?

I'm currently running Win2k Pro with Outlook 2002, and am planning a hardware upgrade this weekend. I'll also be upgrading to WinXP.

I've run into a minor problem with exporting stuff from Outlook though. I have exported all the emails and the rules I use without problem.

I can't see an easy way to export the account settings and my address book. Yes, I could write them all down, but there must be a way of simply exporting the data so I can reimport it into Outlook once I have everything reinstalled.

I've had a nosey through the help files and the MS support site but can't find anything.

If there's a way to do it, can someone let me know please.

Cheers.

Crazy though it seems it would appear that this option is not available.

Two things make me think this:

1. Do a File>Import Export within Outlook XP

Choose to import Internet Mail account settings

The programs listed in the box are Outlook Expres, Eudora, Netscape and the like.

2. This knowledge base artical

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q278168

Both of these give the impression this is a no go.

The addres book is just one file, and most propably the only one with a *.wab ending. Just copy it over. You can also set the filename and path from within OE, I guess its about the same in Outlook.

H.

Quote:

In Outlook Express, click on File, Export from the menu.

You must not have read my first post properly. Where did I mention OE?

Quote:

Crazy though it seems it would appear that this option is not available.
Two things make me think this:

1. Do a File>Import Export within Outlook XP
Choose to import Internet Mail account settings
The programs listed in the box are Outlook Expres, Eudora, Netscape and the like.

2. This knowledge base artical
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q278168

Both of these give the impression this is a no go.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I hoped someone had managed to do it and I had simply overlooked the options for it.

Ah well, out with the pen and paper!

I too had this problem when moving from Win 2k to Win XP. I had over 40 contacts and was determined not to have to break out the pen and paper.

Number 1 thing to know is Outlook XP seems to store the addresses in the PST file now. Not sure why but whatever. :-)

After lots of tinkering I found this to work. After setting up Outlook on your new system go in and import your PST file. You may or maynot have to resetup your email accounts, can't remember. It should import all your mail, AND most importantly your Contacts.

If this didn't help try the Knowledge Base. This article stuck out when I visited there.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q291618

I think a few people are getting a little confused by the original question smile

I'm sure Bursar will put me right if I'm off the mark here.

Bursar knows how to backup all his e-mail & contacts, he can either simply copy the .pst file or do an inport/export and export the whole lot as a .pst

The problem lies in the settings for the mail accounts, ie the server names, usernames, passwords etc.

All indications are that cannot be done.

Agreed, AFAIK it cannot easily be done withou some utility which are different for Outlook Express and Outlook.

A site with some info on the different files in Outlook you find HERE.

If you are running Outlook express there is for example a free 30 day trial of alittle proggy HERE that does the job. What I believe is the best utils for either one can be found HERE.

H.

Himm Guys,

It can be done and terribly easily that is.

ADmiral LSD already told you the solution.

Just install the Office XP Resource Kit from the CD and use the Save my settings wizard.

I am sure you resourceful people can find it on the CD since i do not remember exact location and i am too lazy to find that out right now smile

U.

What gets me is some of you still use pen and paper! You have a computer for christ sakes!!!! Copy and paste your settings and contacts into a txt file and save it where ever.

Cybergen,

I am really surprised. No body that uses modern communication/time/contact management software will even think of what you are suggesting.

You are probably not using any such SW (Outlook, Act, Lotus etc.) however, even basic knowledge of how Modern Windows software operates would have been enough to prevent you from making such "empty" suggestions.

Quote:

What gets me is some of you still use pen and paper! You have a computer for christ sakes!!!! Copy and paste your settings and contacts into a txt file and save it where ever.

One of the reasons I was using pen and paper was becuase I was formatting the system.

And besides, the password box is asterisked out. Fat of lot of good copy and paste will do for that!

I'm sorted now anyway, thanks smile

I have had good luck by having my view set to show all files then go to documents and settings\%username%\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook copy all files in that directory to either a CD/other drive/other PC/ zip drive. Then after the format and install of the OS and outlook 2002 and setup the email then copy the previous files into the same directory on the fresh install.