Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sapiens74

Grand Theft Auto 3

Just picked this up and there seems to be an issue with Windows XP and Nvidia Cards. In game menu is all garbled.

Found the fix here:

http://www.g256.com/

Game kicks *** tho.

Glad I waited for the PC version

I'm only waiting for the PC version so I can give the Office of Film and Literature Classification the finger. Had I not wanted to do that, I would have simply picked it up on the PS2 months ago.

Quote:

I'm only waiting for the PC version so I can give the Office of Film and Literature Classification the finger. Had I not wanted to do that, I would have simply picked it up on the PS2 months ago.

??
Australian thing?
Sorry, not sure what point ya were trying to make, thought both PS2 & PC versions had the same rating?
Or are there some rules in Australia but not elsewhere?

Quote:

??
Australian thing?
Sorry, not sure what point ya were trying to make, thought both PS2 & PC versions had the same rating?
Or are there some rules in Australia but not elsewhere?

They do, or will have. At least with the PC version I can import a copy of the unbastardised US version without having to mess around with modchips and the like.

GTA3 does indeed have problems with NVidia and WindowsXP but the issue is clearly described in readme.txt with a link to a patch.

It's amazing how many people never even take a look at readme wink

As for GTA3 and Australia, I've read on Gamespot that the game was banned there.

Ah!

Makes sense now smile

I was very relieved to see that GTA3 hit the shores of Blighty without any cuts, so indeed I can march the streets with baseball bat in hand and giving it to whoever looks at me funny!

Must admit it is a great game, take a bit of getting used to, but I'm now about three hours of gameplay into it and spent a load of that time being a taxi driver - Tis a top game.

ONly reason I didnt go to the read me, is I read the news for the patch before I bought the game :P

Quote:

As for GTA3 and Australia, I've read on Gamespot that the game was banned there.

The original, uncut, version was, and still is banned here however after removing about 15 seconds (the bit with the hooker) Rockstar were able to have it approved as an MA15+ (the highest our pathetc ratings system goes) game.

I was disappointed with the release of GTA3 for the PC, because:

A couple months ago, I read something in PCGamer (April 2002, p. 27) about GTA3 PC--"A key feature will be support for 16-person multiplay..." 8) --> laugh

As I've played and finished the PS2 version, the primary reason I was looking forward to GTA3 PC was multiplayer. So either PCGamer got their facts wrong, or Rockstar abandoned the plans for multiplayer in the game's release. frown If the latter, Rockstar shouldn't release such details and then bail out on them.

Sure the custom skins, mp3 player custom radio station, higher detail, and mouse control are nice additions. But $50 to play the same (gameplay/plot-wise) game? ;(

Maybe they've just postponed multiplayer, and a future patch will contain it. confused

It was announced over a month ago that the PC version of GTA3 would not include multiplayer support.

Nobody knows quite why this was removed from the final version, but people are generally upset with the PC version.

Not due to the actual game, it's great, but the fact it seems to just be a port from the PS2.

GTA3 has been delayed how many months since the PS2 release and we were told numerous reasons for this.

Multiplayer, abandoned and they also promised lots of extra things that were not in the PS2 version, this also appears not to have happened.

Rumours are flying that there will be an update for the PC version that will "enable" multiplayer.

I'd quite happily settle for 4 player multiplayer!

Of course they may simply not bother and start working in GTA4, for the consoles first again alas.

Well at least us PC people got GTA & GTA2 before anyone else!

hehe

love the game, hated gta 2, but love this one, but am disappointed about no multiplayer frown

Oh well, got my other multiplayer gaems to play smile

I was wondering if anyone else was having problems with the sound in this game? I installed it on my 40 gig drive and didnt have any problems with it... and then I got my new 120 gig drive and reinstalled winxp pro. Now I seem to be having a problem with the sound.. Seems like all the radio station sounds like skip.. and pause. Make the game so annoying that I can't even play it. Anyone else having any type of problem like this? I have a SB audigy card with the latest drivers...

ASiDiE

ASiDiE: they are running UDMA not PIO right? And you do have 80pin EIDE cables right?

do ugot updates for your sound card?

Also, have u been multutasking with it?

I have been noticing after a bit of play time, like 3 + hours, the game has moments were it slows down, and if i mutitask, the radio soudns all messed up. frown

oh well.

yea... UDMA 5... but I did figure out the problem. And I don't really know why but I am sure most of you are using 28.32 nvidia drivers. Well for some reason.. i remembered I had 23.11 on my last computer hard drive. I think they are faster anyway. So I loaded those back on and all the sound problems went away. Anyone else having any problems with the 28.32 drives? Please let us know.

My specs:

Abit Kg7-lite

GF3 @ 220/550

Athlon 1.4@1.6

786 Meg of ram

SB audigy with compaq's drivers dated 3/18/02

no problems here, i used to use the 23.11's until i got sick of BSOD's, even with NVMax's "so-called" BSOD Fix enabled. So i switched to the 28.32's.

I had in the 29.40 drivers, i then put back in the 28.32 as i was getting alof of shadowing of objects in the game,(like 2 images when u moved fast)

But after putting in the 28.32, the game would not start, multiple reboot's, reinstalls, and nothing, but as soon as i put 29.40's back in, the game ran fine.................

I think this game will need a game patch very soon.

28.32s here too and no real problems to speak of.

I'm having the odd bit of "lag" on some cut-scenes, they seem to sometimes take an age to start and then you sometimes miss the first part of it.

Graphically and during gameplay things seem to be behaving themselves, although twice when going at a high speed over massive dips in the road my car has vanished underground for a split second :-/

I think the lag is just part of the game. So many configs with the same issue dont think its a driver issue. maybe a patch will help.

Have you seen this?

Quote:
Those of us who are buying the PC version of the game ought to be aware that there are rumours of a possible problem with Windows XP that manifests itself as graphical problems both in the game menu and also during game play.

Technically this problem is solved by the use of a newer version of d3d8.dll than is shipped on CD with Windows XP (the version on the Windows XP CD that has problems is 5.1.26000.0 – versions tested without error include 5.1.2600.15 and 5.1.2600.29). Currently the only (known) way to update this dll file is to install the Windows XP patch from here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Patch/Q306676/WXP/EN-US/Q306676_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe

This update may in the future be available as part of an official Windows XP Service Pack, a Windows XP Compatibility Update, or possibly a DirectX 8.1 update.

Might be worth a shot smile

Aye Mr. Bursar we know about that one.

It's in the readme file on the CD.

I've heard that there are major problems with the game if you do not have that patch installed, to the point where the game is unplayable.

Basically speaking GTA3 seems to be very playable on the PC and I'm sure a patch will address the remaining issues.

Remember GTA2 on the PC?

There was some major lag in that game until the 1.4MB patch and suddenly it felt like a different game.

Ah right, I haven't managed to pick the game up yet (went into hospital over the weekend to have my appendix removed - but I'm alright now (more or less) thanks for asking) so I didn't know that info was on the CD.

I'm sure a patch will be out fairly soon if this problem is plaguing a large number of users.

Ah right, I haven't managed to pick the game up yet (went into hospital over the weekend to have my appendix removed - but I'm alright now (more or less) thanks for asking) so I didn't know that info was on the CD.

Well dur!!

Why wasn't I informed of your illness??

Were you in too much pain to pick up the phone or type an e-mail? smile

Actually, I know it is painful, I had mine out about eight/nine years ago, however due to an infection I was "out of action" for a month right in the middle of my GCSE's frown

Hope ya feeling better and go and get yourself GTA3 (play.com still have it for £19.99inc delivery BTW) and start playing!!