Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fraxav

Undeletable file remains on disk after system crash ! PLEASE

I was copying a huge file on my disk while Windows XP crashed.

An UNDELETABLE FILE now remains on disk. Windows says file is in use by an other process. Any attempt to delete or access this file from windows makes explorer crash.

I tryed many things:

- reboot in safe mode: file still undeletable and still crashing explorer while attenpting to access or delete.

- reinstall windows: no effect

- full scandisk: run scandisk with full options (system reboot and performs a complete chkdsk before OS load): no errors are found by chkdsk but file remains here and undeletable.

Please, help me ! the partition on which file is is huge and I would not like to reformat it.

frownfrownfrown

It does not always work, but boot from CD, go to Console, get to C:\ use the command: DEL \\.\ drive letter :\ path \ file name

Thank you very much Sampson,

But this does not work because Recovery Console denies write access to any folder else than the system folder and the root folder of each disk.

Is it possible to bypass this stupid rule ?

Ok. Since this occured during a system crash, perhaps this file is being protected by the System Restore process. So, try this:

Click Start, and then right-click My Computer.

Click Properties.

Click the System Restore tab.

Check Turn off System Restore.

Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart the computer.

This should cause XP not to protect the file (if it was System Restore that was protecting it) See if the file is deletable. If it does delete, you can then turn your system restore back on.

Thanks again Sampson,

I will not have to check this because my problem is gone. I finally deleted the file.

To achieve this, I performed a "chkdsk D: /x /f /r" and then delete the file manually under the command prompt.

Curiously, chkdsk does not do the same thing as running a complete scan from the "Disk Properties/Tools" dialog box...

Thank you again for your help Sampson.