Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tsunami

Hit 'n miss DVD playback

I don’t know what’s going on with some of my DVD’s. I have looked very closely at them to find imperfections (scratches, blemishes, ect.) without any discoveries of such, but the DVD’s still come up with message ‘can’t play due to possible scratches…’ yahda, yahda, yahda…. I return the 'defunct' discs and get new ones (sometimes 3 or 4 times) to try them, but end up having the same results. I run them with PowerDVD 4.0. Are there some DVD’s that just wont run in Win2000 Professional with DVD 4.0, or is it just bad quality control by the corporations that make them? confused Can't believe they would let a bulk of defective DVD's be shipped to one outlet. 8)

can you see the file on the DVD disk or dose it sat there and blink blink at you?.

If I explore the DVD disc (by clicking "select source" button on PowereDVD), the computer can read everything (.bup, .ifo, .vob).

The problem is that during loading through PowerDVD play mode (auto or manual), the "error code: 89020003-The DVD disc might have been damaged so as to inhibit playback operation. Please clean the surface of the disc if possible. If it has been scratched, it might not be readable." comes up. Under Win98, the only time this happened was when the disc was truly defective (scratch or blemishes). When I was running Win 98 and 2000 on the same machine, I had one DVD that would only play on 98. On 2000 the error code would come up.

Perhaps it's my configuration of the prog. or a driver that isn't up to date that prevents the computer from reading of some of the DVD's that I have, but it does play other DVD's with no problem.

As for blinking, 2 recent purchases have come up and blinked during the disclaimers/warnings and would repeat them in the different languages then it would shut off (blank screen).

I have dx80bda.exe and DX81eng.exe installed.

Here is my configuration as seen by PowerDVD 4.0:

Player Information :

Player Region Code : 1

Current Focus Drive : E:

Title Region Code : Not Available

Display Information :

Video Mode : Not Available

Display Mode : Not Available

FourCC Code : Not Available

Surface Type : Not Available

Video Attribute : Not Available

Audio Attribute : Not Available

Subpicture Attribute : Not Available

Hardware Information :

Processor: AMD Athlon Processor running at 909 MHz

3DNow! Technology : In Use

Enhanced 3DNow! Technology : In Use

3DNow! Professional Technology : Not Detected

IA MMX Technology : In Use

IA Streaming SIMD Extensions : Not Detected

IA SSE 2 : Not Detected

Video Accelerator : NVIDIA Hardware Video Acceleration (in use)

Multispeakers Audio Device : Creative SBLive! (not in use)

SPDIF Output Device : Creative SBLive! (not in use)

Try using one of those cleaning discs in your drive. Sometimes dust gets in there and causes trouble.

I agree with Davros you may want check that out

Ok, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

Ok, I'm back. Used a cd laser lens cleaner twice before loading another DVD. Tried 2 different DVD's and both didn't play, just the error code again. Checked for the umpteenth time just to make sure I didn't miss scratches and such. Nada. I'm really stumped.

It is possible that the laser is misaligned, but if that were the case, it wouldn't play under 98 and I believe you said that you have some that will not play under 2000 but would under 98.

Found this in looking at PowerDVD's board: "PowerDVD might report

various error messages in this situation, depending on the nature of the incompatible driver. However, all error codes have a common prefix

"8090xxxx" or "80axxxxx".

This is not a problem with PowerDVD itself. Should you encounter this kind of incompatibility, there are some solutions for this one is -

- download ASPI32.EXE from Adaptec to upgrade your ASPI files to the latest version. However, that upgrade requires either an Adaptec host adapter or an Adaptec version of the ASPI layer, which may have been installed by an application or a SCSI device driver, exists on your system. Or You can check if there is an ASPI layer upgrade from your SCSI host adapter or device vendor."

Perhaps, it is time to contact support from the manufacturer of your DVD. It could be that new firmware is order.

I did some research into the ASPI32.EXE. I downloaded some progs to find out (cdvdinfo.exe and driveinfo11.exe as well as aspichk.exe) if I can upgrade the firmware. Even with this, I don’t know if I can or not. One website (firmware.fr.st/)stated, “Don't forget you also need a region free DVD software!!! See the link page to find them.” PowerDVD was listed, so does this mean that the software is region free, and what about my DVD-drive? I don’t want to destroy my drive (there were 2 downloads to choose from), nor do I know where to put the “wnaspi32.exe” (I got it from the firmware site) file extracted by the zip. I hope I’m not overloading on the info guys.

This is the info I received from driveinfo.exe:

DRIVE VENDOR : TOSHIBA

DRIVE PROID : DVD-ROM SD-M1502

DRIVE REVISION : 1008

VENDOR SPECIFIC : 10/16/00

INTERFACE : ATAPI RPC2

SCHEME : YES

SETTING STATUS : NOT PERMANENT

USER CHANGES : 4

MANUFACTOR RESET : 4

REGION CODE : 1

CDR READ SUPPORT : YES

CDRW READ SUPPORT : YES

CDRM2 READ SUPPORT : YES

DVD-ROM READ SUPPORT : YES

DVD-R READ SUPPORT : YES

This is the info I received from Adaptec (aspichk.exe):

ASPICHK0438: OS = Windows NT (5.00.2195)

UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll dated 12/23/1997 00:23:24, 48128 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system32\wnaspi32.dll version 4.5.7.1008

UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll dated 12/23/1997 00:23:46, 5600 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system\winaspi.dll version 4.5.7.1008

UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys dated 12/23/1997 01:02:46, 23936 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys version 4.5.7.1008

UPGRADE1004: c:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe dated 12/23/1997 00:23:36, 4672 bytes.

UPGRADE1062: c:\winnt\system\wowpost.exe version 4.5.7.1008

ASPICHK0582: ASPI is properly installed and is fully operational. A total of 2 host adapters have been detected.

This is what I got from the firmware site:

-Toshiba SD-M1502 (16X/48X) 1010, 1012 / 1812, 1816 / 1002 (revB)

(Known firmware : 1008 / 1010 / 1012 - 1002)

You can make your drive region free (RPC-1) by using this patched 1816 RPC-1 firmware (patch by DocteurB).

For newest drive shipped with a 1002 firmware (revB hardware) you can make your drive region free (RPC-1) by using this patched X002 RPC-1 firmware (patch by ChaoticTurtle).

RPC-2

I believe that you change the region five times. On the fifth time, you are stuck with that region. Region free, I believe means that the software is responsible for the region rather than what is set by the drive itself.

What do I need to do SHS? I'm at this site and all I find is this:

13/04/2002 :

- NEW RPC-1 patched firmware for :

Philips DVDRW208 1.61 Patch by Sjwinck

Samsung SD-612S/TGV E1E0 Patch by etna

Samsung SD-616T E304 Patch by etna

Toshiba SD-M1502 X002 Patch by ChaoticTurtle

Added firmware for :

DVD+RW :

Philips DVDRW208 1.61 (RPC-2 firmware, RPC-1 firmware also available)

DVD-ROM :

Pioneer DVD-U05/305S 1.05 (RPC-2 firmware)

Toshiba SD-M1502 1002 (RPC-2 firmware, RPC-1 firmware also available)

My Toshiba is SD-M1502 1008. Is the patch by ChaoticTurtle what is called for, and how do I do it?

Take the drivers look for RevB mark firmware Patched X002 or may need RPC-1 firmware Patched 1816 RPC-1 "I think you have this one".

Okay, been busy for the past couple of days.

So, I downloaded both patches (X002 and X1816).

Now how do I use them (thinking bout using X002). Step by Step if you please. ;( I don't want to do something wrong. Newbee jitters and all. Thanks. smile

Put the file on a blank floppy disk then boot using a win9x boot disk then pop in that disk with the file on it then type update that all there is to it.

I would try this one first X1816.

Thanks, will do.

I'm back.

Ummm... What does "NTLDR is missing" mean? It wouldn't run the startup disk (plain "bootdisk.bat" floppy). Rem, I'm only using W2K now.