Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
tulamidan

VGASave mode deactivated

I've got a RIVA TNT2 (PCI) Card installed on my System. But WinXP uses the SaveVGA driver instead of the (correct installed) TNT2 driver.

So I decided to deactivate the VGASave driver but now the System shows only a blank screen on every boot up:( frown

No matter if I use the "Save Mode" or the "VGA only" Mode, I only get a blank screen so I can't do anything.

Is there a way to fix the driver with the XP repair function?

Thx for your help

Try booting with "Last Known Good Configuration."

If that doesn't work, try using your XP CD to boot to the recovery console and copying the driver back to where it belongs.

If that doesn't work,

If the drive is formatted FAT32, boot a Win98 Startup disk, or dos floppy, and copy the driver from another computer.

If the drive is formatted NTFS, stick the drive in another computer as a slave drive and copy the driver that way.

Or try doing a full repair installation.

If you could see something on the screen, you could use the Rollback function from the Device Manager. See if your Bios sees the PCI card, disable the AGP and enable PCIvideo.

If it still comes up blank, if you have a different video card, install it and perhaps XP will find the drivers for it.

By the way how did you go about deactivating the VGASave driver?

Quote:

Thx, unfortunately this was the only possible way. But now XP works again. But still in saveVGA mode frown

Quote:
Quote:

Thx, unfortunately this was the only possible way. But now XP works again. But still in saveVGA mode frown

It's actually not the only way. I installed XP SP1 and I got that crazy vgasave thing. I (stupidly) disabled vgasave, like you did, and when i restarted, blank screen (even in safe mode, blank screen). All I did was boot to the recovery console (you can install the recovery console from the XP disk). Log in to the windows installation and type "enable vgasave" (without the quotes). It will give you a list of choices for when it should be loaded, boot, automatic, manual, etc. I think I used the boot one and at least I didn't have to reinstall windows! I still am working on getting rid of vgasave and replacing it with my video card drivers.

This 60Hz refresh rate is killing my eyes! ;(