Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
T.C.

conflicts with SB Live! Platinum 5.1 & nVidia TNT2?

hey all, long time reader - first time poster.

i recently managed to fry my first gen Radeon 64Mb VI/VO when trying to add some aftermarket cooling to it and overclock it. (dont' ask - that's a whole other story). so, while i'm saving up some cash for a "real" videocard, i went out and grabbed a cheapy nVidia TNT2 32Mb card.

when i popped this one in, i immediately get STOP BSOD right after logging in, and the file listed is a .dll file directly related to the Creative s/w associate with my Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1 soundcard. i had no problems with this card and my Radeon, and i cannot find any information about a known conflict with the SB card and the TNT2 anywhere. the TNT2 card works just fine if i remove the SB card and use the horrible onboard sound. and yes, i'm running the most recent detonator drivers...

any thoughts on this, because i really hate having such a great soundcard that i relied on heavily just sit there, even if it is only a month or so before i get a new video card... frown

thanks in advance.

It is possible that your Video Card and SBLive card are sharing the same IRQ and in turn they both want the same memory alotment, thus the conflict. Some have found by moving the sound card to a different slot, the conflict goes away.

You could also change the driver for the TNT to a standard VGA. Then, power down. Put your sound card back in (in the same slot or a different one). Then, install your sound card drivers (if they weren't recognized. Then, reboot and if there is still no conflict, reinstall the TNT with the detonator drivers.

well, i tried moving the SB card to a different slot prior to posting, but i'll try your other suggestion and get back to you. it's worth a shot...