Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
plato

what the hell is up with ACPI in win XP ?????

Cheers, I'll check it out. I know there were probs between the SB Live series & KT7 series boards, & even with KT7A series, but that was [so I've heard & read] fixed with a BIOS update, & mine came with a BIOS that was newer than that BIOS patch anyway. I built a system for a friend last year with a KT7A [non RAID & not sure what v. #] & put a Live 5.1 Player in it & it works fine. so hopefully CL &/or Abit &/or VIA have got their collective acts together.

Just had a chat/conference with someone from CL tech support via their website & they told me that they're "not aware of any incompatibilities" with my mobo, which is nice. However, 1 thing that did bother me a bit was:

Quote:
In order to install sb. audigy first you need to install drivers, software for win.2k and then run the patch for win.xp from our web site
I think it sucks that you have to install the 2K driver 1st, & that they don't offer a complete download of the driver for XP, only an update. I remember reading that this was something to do with bandwidth on their server or whatever & the size of the patch, but having looked @ the stuff on the download page & from installing a CL card on someone else's system before the only thing I'd want is the drivers, not all the other crap.

Well the drivers for Win2k and WinXP for the Live! & Audigy cards are the same, the update on the web site is a Win2k/XP update rather than a specific WinXP one (As fas as I know, I'm pretty sure they list them as seperate things on the CL site, but I believe the files are the same).

I don't mind installing the Liveware package, never had a problem with it and the update installs over the top without worries too.

In theory it might be possible to uninstall Liveware afterwards and that should leave the drivers intact, never actually tried that though.

I don't know of anywhere in the UK that does TB/SC cards, I've checked all the usual places I deal with & they only do Creative, Videologic, Terratec, Hercules, Diamond, & Guillemot. I won't be going with Videologic again, that's for sure! Besides, apparently Creative have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee in addition to the normal faults guarantee/warranty/whatever.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I saw an Abit AU10 mentioned somewhere as well, but so far I think the Audigy OEM v. still looks a good bet, especially as I can send it back if I don't like it. smile

Paul's Unofficial Abit FAQ explains all about that Abit PCI-Irq Table. "What on earth is the interrupt pin assignment table in the manual all about?!":

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/bios.htm

Take note that most Asus motherboard have an Asic for control of PCI sharing activated only by enabling PnP OS in the Bios.

1394a (i.e. "Firewire", "I-Link") as network solution with Internet Cable Modem plus USB2 and ADS USB Turbo Quad bring a clear slowdown on ACPI.

These tools go far to solve the lack of sufficient IRQs. Standard PC is then more efficient and recovers the one Gigabyte HD space otherwise lost to hiberfile.sys.

Quote:

Paul's Unofficial Abit FAQ explains all about that Abit PCI-Irq Table. "What on earth is the interrupt pin assignment table in the manual all about?!":

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/bios.htm
I'm glad I didn't see that 1st as it's more confusing than the thing I found buried on Abit's site, but thanks anyway. smile
Quote:
Take note that most Asus motherboard have an Asic for control of PCI sharing activated only by enabling PnP OS in the Bios.
Ummm, yeah, but I only just bought an Abit - I won't be buying a new mobo for quite a while, unless I win the lottery. smile
Quote:
1394a (i.e. "Firewire", "I-Link") as network solution with Internet Cable Modem plus USB2 and ADS USB Turbo Quad bring a clear slowdown on ACPI.
Good thing I don't have any of them then, ain't it? smile Well, I do have a cable modem - a Motorola Surfboard 3100, but it uses good old ordinary ethernet.
Quote:
These tools go far to solve the lack of sufficient IRQs. Standard PC is then more efficient and recovers the one Gigabyte HD space otherwise lost to hiberfile.sys.
Ummm, it's only 1GB if you have 1GB of RAM, I only have 384MB. Besides, I want hibernation capability, & even if I didn't, or desperately needed the extra space it's a lot simpler to just go to Control Panel -> Power Options -> Hibernation & uncheck the box marked "Enable Hibernation", & you don't even need to reboot when enabling/disabling it. smile