Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
plato

what the hell is up with ACPI in win XP ?????

it is a hradware prob but also softwre prob.

microsoft blames the hardware (bios) but in fact it is XP that is at fault blocking 0x70 and 0x71.

i am talking about event ID4, and 5.

ACPI BIOS has attempted to read/write to protected memory sector 0x70 and or 0x71.

WTF?

there is nothing one semengly can do to fix this ***** of a problem.

-got newest bios

Abit BE6 II v2.0

celeron 566

512MB RAM

RADEON 8500

IBM GXP 60 60gB

If all else fails, try disabling ACPI. There are countless topics on this message board that explain the process in detail.

The fault does not lie with Microsoft.

Microsoft publish the specifications for ACPI, it is then down to the BIOS writers to make sure they meet these specifications.

The BE6-II is hardly the newest motherboard available and my guess is that no new fully ACPI compatible BIOS has ever been released for it.

If it was an MS issue everybody would be getting the errors you list, they aren't.

well the board was the #1 board about a year ago. My board is diff from BE6 II. It is essentially BE6III,,, BE6 II v.2.0 as they decided to call it, but who cares.

so "hardly the newest"... we r in deep **** if we start thinking like that. I mean if it was 2 years old or 3 i would say OK, but c'mon... this is outrageous.

don't wory i am getting new sys.

thanx

It is very possible that the ACPI specifications changed between Windows 2000 and Windows XP although I'm not aware of any changes.

If changes were made Microsoft would not have kept them quiet, they will be publically available for the very reason that motherboards would require BIOS updates.

The ball then firmly rests in ABit's court, it is their job to speak to AMI, Phoenix, Award etc and ask them to make the relivant changes to the BIOS for a new release.

Alas, most companies cannot be bothered to offer support on anything but their latest models.

I recall having ACPI up and running on a Abit BE-6 (rev 1) board, but not on XP. On my KG7, I have a vague feeling that ACPI is not working quite as well under XP as under W2K, but it could of course be some tweaking that is causing the issues

Plato, if you are just seeing this in your system log, without other problems I wouldn't worry about it.

H.

thanx for ur coments.

all is well.

after fully testing everything it turns out my processor is dying and is to blame for all problems, well almost all.

i did not select PnP OS in bios.

PnP OS in the BIOS should be set for No under both Win2k & WinXP.

I'll edit this message later if I can and add the URL to the MS Knowledge Base article on said subject.

Extremely.

There is a reason for it, but I cannot for the life of me remember what that is.

Must try to find that knowledge base article.

Its long ago, and I'm not sure I got this right. Anyhow I've understood that this is due to some PnP standard / white paper which Bill decided wasn't that cool at all, at the end of the day. So he made his PnP OS to work a bit differently.

Now, my understanding is that if you set PnP OS to enabled, the BIOS will try to give the OS an early start by assigning some resources to the very basic stuff, videocards etc. MS decided that they do this better, so their OS will (maybe) attempt to reassign them. If you set PnP OS to disabled, the OS does it all, which is what MS wants.

Anyhow, When you use a MS (PnP) operating system you should definately set the PnP Operating System in the bios to disabled or no sorta because the OS is more PnP than the BIOS. Confused ? Never mind, just set it to no.

As BladeRunner implies, this is (was) MS recommendation. I've seen that knowledgebase article too, but it was nowhere to be found when I just looked.

H.

Just change your setting in Device Manager to read Standard PC instead of ACPI. Unless you absolutely have to use Stand By. I have always, with the exception of NT 4.0, used PNP set to YES. Some devices are not detected properly by the OS with it set to NO.

I made a DOC file that explians how to disable ACPI and manually assign IRQ's it has screen shots and more... email me and I'll send it to you....

Actualy I have made a DOC that takes you step by step on how to disable the ACPI and issign IRQ manualy weather you are doing a new install or you just want to change an existing install....

The article referanced above says that you have to reinstall the OS but I have found that this is NOT the case... I run all my PC as standard PC's with the ACPI off and have no problems with any of them other that the cant hybernate or turn themselves off... I leave my systems on all the time and the ones that are turned off are my childrens and they just hit the power button.....Hard shut down!!! Agghhh bad for the OS!!! I dont know my system crashes more than theirs.....Maybe because windows doesnt get to save all the setting that they have changed....I understand that the article says that windows can do this IRQ sharing with everything on IRQ 9...but all of my hardware is not the latest and greatest....so it ended up having alot of conflicts....during all my years as a computer geek I have been taught that IRQ sharing is BAD and have dealt with IRQ conflict and I am sorry to disagree with MS but I still have IRQ conflict...and I have found a way to fix them....I really dont see the need to put share an IRQ when i have 3,4,5,7,9,11 open and free...Irq sharing would be fine if it happened after all of the IRQ were used... But it doesnt it just sticks 10 devices on one IRQ...so that poor IRQ end up in a circle jerk with all these devices pushing it around... I still think that picking on the single IRQ is a bad thing...

also the PNP OS setting in your BIOS does this

if set to yes or enable - the bios only assignes IRQ's to the hardware that is required to boot....IE hard drive...

and allow the OS to assign the rest...

if set to no then the BIOS assigns IRQ to all hardware that requires them... Which windows XP then reassigns to IRQ 9....

Right,

turn OFF ACPI, use a ISA Video Card and switch back to 5,25 inch floppies. WTF ?

There is no point with current PnP hardware to stubbornly trying to assign IRQ yourself. Unless you have very old or very exotic hardware, you should of course install XP with ACPI if you are planning on using any power saving options. If you install from scratch, you have to resort to mild violence not to install ACPI.

H.

When Windows 2000 was first released to the public these forum's were immediately filled with threads along the lines of "All my devices are on one IRQ, how do I sort?" & "WTF is up with my PC?".

However in 90% of these cases the user wasn't having a problem, but the cosmetic view of all devices on the same IRQ "freaked" them out.

As long as you have the hardware then ACPI is one of the best things ever to come from Microsoft/Intel.

No more limited by 16 physical IRQ's.

No more have to shift things around whenever I wanted to add new ahrdware.

No more sitting with pencil & paper for hours on end trying to work out which devices could use which resources, which could share, which couldn't.

It's now just plug everything in and go.

I'm sure people must be aware that although all hardware devices appear to be using the same physical address (usually IRQ 9) they are in fact using virtual addresses.

For example my NIC is running on IRQ44 if I remember correctly.

If somebody has older hardware or more than one ISA card then I can see the logic behind choosing "Standard PC".

You are using legacy devices and should set your OS to run in "legacy" mode.

However if you've got relatively new hardware then ACPI has to be the way to go, purely from it's simplicity.

Quote:

Right,
turn OFF ACPI, use a ISA Video Card and switch back to 5,25 inch floppies. WTF ?

There is no point with current PnP hardware to stubbornly trying to assign IRQ yourself. Unless you have very old or very exotic hardware, you should of course install XP with ACPI if you are planning on using any power saving options. If you install from scratch, you have to resort to mild violence not to install ACPI.

H.

1. if you disable ACPI you dont have to assign IRQ yourself, your PNP BIOS and Windows can still assign IRQ and most of the time this works fine.... But it allows you to change them if you need to... and it allow Windows to assign your devices to IRQ's other than 9..

2. In the realm of PC's any thing older than six months is old and alot of people are installing XP on 400 or 500Mhz machines that may not be 100% compliant with ACPI... (IE E machines are a prime example)

3. ACPI and APM are differant if you disable your ACPI only hybernation and auto shutdown are affected as they require ACPI the other power saving features (monitor off, hard drive off) are unaffected)

4. If you istall from scratch you have to hit F5....????if that is mild violence then I guess I need anger management counseling...

Sigh,

the point is there is normally, on a PCI card /Windows based system, no reason to disable ACPI. The hardware and software is built to use it. And ACPI is not really assigning IRQ 9 to anything, read BladeRunners post, doesn't really need any elaboration.

H.

Originally posted by BladeRunner [/i]

As long as you have the hardware then ACPI is one of the best things ever to come from Microsoft/Intel.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The concept is good but to bad MS doesnt make everything in my system so that it is compliant with their standards

--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep software waves a magic wand and does away with hardware limitations....

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Even MS says moving PCI cards may help

No more sitting with pencil & paper for hours on end trying to work out which devices could use which resources, which could share, which couldn't.

Yeah now your having IRQ conclict and cant do anything about it.... And sitting for hours? I never did that with my old systems.... 4 com port 16 IRQ's not a lot to figure out....

Ohh in a perfect world

I'm sure people must be aware that although all hardware devices appear to be using the same physical address (usually IRQ 9) they are in fact using virtual addresses.

For example my NIC is running on IRQ44 if I remember correctly.

Like virtual memory.... a good thing but you dont want to use it...

If somebody has older hardware or more than one ISA card then I can see the logic behind choosing "Standard PC".

You mean slow mode

However if you've got relatively new hardware then ACPI has to be the way to go, purely from it's simplicity. [/b]

If it works for you then thats the way to go... I havent had any good exp with it and most of the ACPI concept havent been implimented so thats why its not working the way it should.....ACPI is mainly for future use.....(IE turning your toaster on and off)

This is what MS invisions..... so why use it now when I dont have a PNP toaster??? I think I will use it in the future when they have worked the bugs out of it....

Quote:

Sigh,

the point is there is normally, on a PCI card /Windows based system, no reason to disable ACPI. The hardware and software is built to use it. And ACPI is not really assigning IRQ 9 to anything, read BladeRunners post, doesn't really need any elaboration.

H.

both the main systems that I use has all PCI... both motherboards dont even have ISA slot all my hardware is less than 6 months old and is 100% ACPI compliant(or so they say) so why do I get IRQ conflict when running ACPI?

*Shrugs*

I've got no idea why you are getting IRQ conflicts, I've not worked on a single PC within the last year that hasn't been 100% happy running in ACPI mode, some PC's had very few cards in, ones like mine are full to the brim, not a single one of these has given me a problem.

Yep software waves a magic wand and does away with hardware limitations....

Let me elaborate further cause you seem to have missed the point.

Agreed there is no magic wand at work here removing the physical restriction of 16 IRQ's, however this is no longer an issue as devices can and do use IRQ's at much higher levels, my NIC being on IRQ 44, it's as if the limitation no longer exists, another good reason for using ACPI.

Even MS says moving PCI cards may help

Even MS say this will help? Help where exactly? As I've never had a problem with ACPI then I don't need help, it all just works, so by moving a card how does that help me?

Yeah now your having IRQ conclict and cant do anything about it.... And sitting for hours? I never did that with my old systems.... 4 com port 16 IRQ's not a lot to figure out....

Lets see, 16 IRQ's.

0=Timer, 1=Keyboard, 3=Com, 4=Com, 6=Floppy, 8=Clock, 13=Data Processor, 14=IDE, 15=IDE

That doesn't exactly give you many IRQ's to play with. Some cards could only be forced to use specific IRQ's, to you might have a soundcard that can only use 5, 7 or 9, a NIC that will only use 9 or 11, a graphics card that can only use 11, etc

The more devices you had the more complicated working out where everything should go got.

ACPI removes this by doing everything for you, again a great reason to use it.

Ohh in a perfect world

I must be living in a perfect world then, this is exactly how it works for me.

Plug & Play, ACPI, all works fine for me.

Like virtual memory.... a good thing but you dont want to use it...

Pray tell why?

Once again, have many devices on IRQ's well and above 15, never experienced any problems.

You mean slow mode

? Are you now saying that "Standard PC" mode is slower than ACPI?

I suppose it could be, the OS is having less control over everything and isn't being allowed to do as it pleases, could cause slow down.

ACPI is mainly for future use.....(IE turning your toaster on and off)

Me thinks you are getting terminology confused here, ACPI used to turn your toaster on and off??????

ACPI is here now, it works now.

If ACPI is so terrible, why is it that you are in the minority of people who don't use it, when most people use it without a single problem?

Hey BladeRunner, I'm in that perfect world too. 3 ACPI PC's at home, + a laptop, lots of free beer and hordes of scantily clad females... Some of the hardware is from around '96 (a SCSI card for example) but ACPI still works. A few months ago I tried XP on a 250 Mhz machine on a old Asus mobo so old it didn't even have USB ports (just for fun) and guess what - ACPI worked! Right now I have ACPI and XP running on a networked 450 Mhz machine (old Abit BE6 mobo, Matrox Millennium graphics card, legacy 16 bit sound card etc) without a hitch. On my main system which is pretty crowded (SCSI card, TV card, Raid controller, 4 IDE devices, two pointing devices, two printers one LPT, one scanner etc, hell I even use the serial port occasionally) I must have done between 10 and 20 W2K/XP installs and not seen an IRQ conflict - not once. And I've just left all the HW in place when reinstalling.

rjs82vette, when did you try a ACPI install last time - which OS? Are you also assigning the memory ranges manually? Honestly I can't believe that you have any probs on a all PCI system on a Mobo made after 1999. How about posting a hardware list on the system you have this problem with and (if you remember) the devices that had an IRQ conflict ?

H.

smile

No hordes of scantily clan females I'm afraid, one will do!

When it comes to ACPI what also needs to be remembered is that you need three compatible layers.

First, an ACPI compatible OS, Win2k, WinXP are fine here.

Next, an ACPI complient motherboard BIOS, now things can get awkward here.

MS originally posted the ACPI specifications, BIOS writers wrote the BIOS accordingly and then at the 12th hour MS changed the specs.

Result is a lot of "ACPI complient" BIOS's not actually being so.

Lastly, you need ACPI complient hardware.

Now both Harry and myself have installed OS's in ACPI mode on hardware which was released before ACPI was even thought about without problems.

However it would appear that some of the newer hardware devices are the ones that have problems, they just don't like sharing resources.

Of course I'd also like to throw in that it wouldn't suprise me if over half of these ACPI issues were VIA related, but that would be just childish smile