Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haplo

Does winXP have ACPI problems?

Hi to everyone out there,

Since I changed to XP I encounter very strange error messages like:

"ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range."

This one was snipped from the eventviewer. Using Win2k those errors never happened. Has s.o. an idea? Btw XP also DISBALES my IRQ assigned to VGA (which I enabled in BIOS - due to my gfx-card manual), but tha'ta another story...

What are your specs? Usually XP doesnt have too many issues with ACPI unless there is a specific config you are using which could cause it.

Can't recall where I saw it, but some BIOS versions may cause this harmless error message. I think it was Asus or Abit boards, should be or is fixed in newer bios versions. If you have either board, check their web sites for what fixes are implemented recently

H

Thx DirtyHarry,

my board is a Chaintech one, which usually never causes problems, but I'll think I've to contact their support. (actually I am using the newest BIOS). Anyway, do you know a workaround/fix for winXP not to touch my VGA-assigned IRQ? See, it's not that the irq# is swapped, as usually done by ACPI reorganizing the pci-bus(es), but the irq simply disappeared from the Device Manager - that drives me nuts!!! Why do I enable s.th. in the BIOS if some Operatinsystem has s.th. different in mind?

To sapiens74:

My board is KT133-based, rather old you see, I'm using a Duron, 256Mb RAM, a NIC, a TV-Card, and nothing overclocked. The rest of the devices are onboard ones: sound, ide etc. Oh yes - there's an AGP gfx-card too wink Any idea why win2k had no probs?

Did you do a clean install? Have you tried changing your drivers?

In BIOS, you may try disabling/enabling the shadowing of BIOS ROM, video RAM, or other shadowing. This is a pure guess, tho, so try the first two things if you haven't already.

I tried everything you mentioned. Clean install, newest drivers, no shadowing/caching. Don't know what to do frown I even tried Georges Latency Patch against VIAs viapfd. No IRQ for my gfx-card... in the Device Manager. Other tools, i.e. SiSoft Sandra, DO indeed show irq#11 assigned - whats happening? It works somehow in terms of playing-games, but it confuses me......

Abit-Be6 II v2.0

i didn't have this exact problem until a few days ago.

don't remember what set it off.

recently i have upgraded bios to newest, and also upgraded XP...as usual.

suddenly axact same f.'n problem. ofcourse u neglected to mention that this error shuts down your computer imediatly after the error. So it is hardly harmless!!!!!!!!!!!!

No clue what caused it.

there is no soution to it as far as i know. i been trying to fix it for a few days. I am so ****en pissed i am about to by a ne motherboard and pc

I always do a non ACPI install. At the beginning of the install when it asks you to hit F6, you hit F5 instead. Then choose Standard PC.

Another option that worked for me once in Windows 2000 was to change drivers in Device Manager from ACPI to Standard PC. This is not recommended by Microsoft. What ever you decide, you cannot go back without a full install.

Regards,

javajeff

pmistry:

The manual claims that the videocard won't function properly without irq. It works somehow w/o....

sapiens74:

But I NEED my TV-card wink I'll try it as soon as time permits.

Stay tuned...

ACPI assigns everything a IRQ so you don't have to. This looks like all HW sharing an IRQ (usually #11) but its nothing to care about.

Just check your BIOS settings (APM/ACPI) before you do the install, and remeber that ACPI only works if all relevant hardware and drivers support it.

H.