Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
smokinkane

Best Det's for orginal geforce3

I have a visiontek geforce 3, I have tried using the 23.11's that I used with my previous geforce2 ultra, and I get infinite loop errors in 3dmark. So I installed the 28.32's and they work fine, but the performance is lackluster. So which det's do you think I should use? My system spec's are as follows:

Shuttle AV40

P4 1.9

512mg OCZ DDR

Visiontek Geforce 3

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Promise ATA 100 controller

IBM 75gxp 30gig, IBM 60gxp 60gig

linksys NIC

Pioneer 16x DVD

Yamaha 16x burner

4.38 4-in-1's

Windows XP Pro

People who swear by using a specific set of drivers for performance reasons should all be lined up and shot IMO since they are always the first ones complaining whenever a new game doesn't work right down the track. And given that they can't even see the difference in most cases it really is a pointless exercise...

I usually go with whatever NVidia has on THEIR website, considering they make the damn chips. I never really see (along with 100% of the population) the difference 2-8 frames can make. The card makers out their usually use the last 2 versions back of the reference drivers and modify them anyway, i.e. Hercules.

Go with whatever is most stable on your machine, if you desire more frames, get more memory, faster chip, better card. I am using 28.32s and get 95 - 70 FPS in Nascar 4 with 32bit color/textures, Highest possible render options, with 40 cars in front of me. The human eye can't see much of a difference after say 60FPS I may be mistaken this may be lower.

Post something like that over at madonion.com and you'd be flamed from here to eternity smile

If you are benchmark or FPS chasing then by all means play with the hundreds of different drivers out there.

If you want stability and MS WHQL qualification stick to what nvidia.com have posted.

I use the drivers I do because they've been not only the fastest, but also haven't given me trouble, even with new games like Jedi Knight II and Serious Sam 2. I probably will continue to use these drivers until I have a problem and need to update them. I stuck with the 10.80's for the longest time because not only were they faster than any other driver I used, but I wasn't having any problems with them either. I haven't used the WHQL drivers, but then again, I tend not to run into problems (my good luck I guess)