Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pmistry

SiS chipsets please comment

If you have an SiS chipset based motherboard please comment on model, processor, stability, and how XP runs on it.

SOYO P4S Dragon Ultra, uses the SiS 645 chipset and I have a Northwood 1.6a running at 2.4GHz at stock voltage and stock HSF. It runs quite well. I had been debating over getting it or the ASUS (using the i845D chipset) and I probably would have picked up the Intel had the SOYO not been immediately available. But, overall the SOYO/SiS combo has been pretty nice.

clutch, why u saying "quite well" ? smile Im still confused whether to get a Gigabyte 8SRX or an ASUS P4B266 (or P4S333/533). The Gigabyte has a very cool feature, which locks the AGP/PCI bus speeds when u overclock the FSB....

Thats really a feature of intel chipsets rather than the board, as far as i know the abit and epox ones also do this.

btw had fun playing cs with ya palos smile ill pop in again sometime smile

Quote:

clutch, why u saying "quite well" ? smile Im still confused whether to get a Gigabyte 8SRX or an ASUS P4B266 (or P4S333/533). The Gigabyte has a very cool feature, which locks the AGP/PCI bus speeds when u overclock the FSB....

smile
I mean "quite well" in that it simply runs really well. Also, I could have sworn that it has the same AGP/PCI bus lock feature as well, but I haven't been in the BIOS in a while (no need to).

Carbine, that is a feature of the BIOS, not of the Intel chipset. Look at the Epox 4BDA (i845D) and the Gigabyte 8SRX (SIS645)...both have it, but different chipsets.

C$ rulz smile

You could look at the decision by INtel to let SIS make p4 chipsets legally and not VIa as a sign of their confidence they can make a great alternative for the P4