Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
isochar

Outlook XP/Hotmail & IE

I have several Hotmail accounts in Outlook XP. Whenever I click on one to expand its contents and sync with the hotmail server, I get a weird "effect". Specifically, Outlook becomes unresponsive, and IE hangs. This will keep occuring until Outlook finishes syncing, or times out with the hotmail server.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone have any ways of improving this annoying problem?

PS. Opera doesn't suffer from it, but it's not my primary browser. (Since it doesn't have inline autocomplete/remembering usernames & passwords)

It seems Microsoft has heard about your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q284383

"This behavior can occur if your Outlook profile contains a Hotmail account and you start Outlook when the Hotmail server is slow or not responding. Though it seems that Outlook is not responding, the program is fully functional. When the Hotmail server starts responding, the Hotmail e-mail account and folder list become available.

WORKAROUND

To work around this issue, after opening Outlook, do not immediately synchronize the Hotmail folder list by clicking the list or Send/Receive , but allow the automatic synchronization request to arrive. The first instance of synchronization may be slow, but subsequent synchronizations will be timely."

Interesting Workaround they suggest wouldn't you say?

I don't know if this will help, but you could start Outlook with the / Safe switch which starts Outlook without some gadgets like panes and toolbar modifications. It cuts down a little overhead.

Does Messenger kick itself in when your Outlook comes up? You can disable it if you don't use it for messenging. This really doesn't slow things down but it is a nuisance and another task.

Hope this will help.

Definately an interesting read. However, as the article indicated, the flaw is not with Hotmail...