Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
markjs

Problem with XP File sharing

When I first set up my 2 PC home lan (crossover cable), with my 2 XP Pro machines, when I told it to share the hard drive on the network, it worked 100% (all folders were accessible). Recently though I had to re-install XP on one machine because I had to upgrade the hard drive, and ever since it will not allow either machine to access the other machines Program Files, or My Documents folders no matter what I do! I have spent a lot of time trying to get it to work properly again and with no success, even when I tell the machine to share the folder specifically. I am at wits end, please someone help!!! Thanks in advance.

I think we need a little bit more information Here. For example, does it give you an error message? If so what does it say? Do you have administrator privelages on both machines? Have you tried with a different cable? Have you messed with file/folder permissions and made sure you have complete "ownership" of your hard drive and all the directories in it?

Please provide us with somemore information and hopefully we will be able to help smile

Make sure the user accounts you use on both computers have the same name and password, and make sure both computers are in the same WORKGROUP.

You could try to change the "Networkaccess" in Local Security Policies.

"Local Policies\Security\Networkaccess:Sharing and security for local accounts\" Set it to Classic.

Hope it will work.

when creating user accounts, in XP by default it selects making the system files for that user private, or unaccessable beside admin, or that user. Could this be the problem? Or is it that you can an error when trying to get dir list?