Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PinkPanther

Disk Checker Question for XP

Hello all,

Is there any Disk Checker/Fixer software that can actually fix disk errors without rebooting or simply asking me to run chkdsk /f?

I have used Norton and Ontrack SystemSuite, and both, when they find a disk error, tell you to run the chkdsk command in Windows to repair it. I am just wondering why they even include Disk Checkers if all they do is to delegate to the one built into the OS.

I am looking for a Disk Checker that can check and fix the errors on my drives without me having to reboot at any stage of the process - does such a thing exist?

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the replies thus far. AS I mentioned in the original post, I have already used Norton Disk Doctor, and it fails to correct any errors it finds on the drive used by the Operating system (C: drive 99% of the time). It merely instructs to run chkdsk /f in order to fic the errors.

What I am looking for is a disk doctor that can fix erros on ANY hard disk without using chkdsk.

If I find one on my own, I will make sure to post the informaiton here.

Cheers

You won't find one that will fix an error while Windows is running.

Let chkdsk do it, it does a fine job.

Thanks for the replies ... just to clarify, I was not in any way implying that chkdsk does not do its job adequately. I am just very confused as to why companies like Ontrack and Symantec even include a disk "fixer" when all they do is delegate to chkdsk, and I wanted a disk fixer that did the job it CLAIMED it could do - that's all smile

Apparently such a product does not exist, so yes, it's back to the console for me to run chkdsk with its many options.

Thanks again, everyone.