Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Alien

How to slap Frontpage into submission?

Does anyone know how to change the formatting of the default blank new page in Frontpage 2002 [Office XP]. What I mean is I know how to change it, but I have to redo it again each time I create a new page & it's starting to really bug me. Is it possible to save-over the template or whatever for this default new page, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance.

edit: basically the thing that bugs me is that even though it appears to be set to single line spacing, you have to actually go into the paragraph properties & set the Before & after Spacing settings to 0 as they [by default] have no value @ all.

Oh come on, surely someone else has had this problem & has managed to find a solution to it???

Having not received any help I decided to see if I could @ least see what FP was doing differently in terms of HTML codes/tags.

I made 3 test pages [2 with Frontpage, & 1 with Netscape composer] with just some lines of random letters.

I won't bother pasting in the meta, title, header & body tags, as whilst my knowledge of actual HTML code is fairly limited I know enough to see that they aren't relevant here. The code view of the 3 tests is as follows:

Composer

ehaksdhfskfdgjsdfg

<br>sdflglsdhfg

<br>sdfgksdfgh

<br>sdgklsdfg

<br>dfldglksdfg

<br>sdlfkgnklsdfg

<br>

Frontpage in its default form

<p>igfjkdkgjjdfgh</p>

<p>dfg</p>

<p>hldkfghldfgh</p>

<p>fdgh;'gh</p>

<p>fh;fgh</p>

<p>fdh;fg</p>

<p>h</p>

Note: For those that don't know or who didn't read my previous post the above code leaves a line between each line of text - every time I press return it's creating a new paragraph & leaving a space between it, instead of just creating a new line.

Frontpage after I've set paragraph spacing to 0 (has no value @ all by default)

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">fdfgsdfg</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">dlkfglasdjng</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">sadlgflasjfdlkgj</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">sdlf;lasjdkflj</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">asdfklkasdlg</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">s'djfljslfkdjg</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">sadgfsad</p>

<p style="margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0">gl;aksfg</p>

WTF??? What is MS playing @? anyone know how to make it do it normally???

PLEASE???

This is because hitting "enter" signals the end of a paragraph, so Frontpage uses the <p></p> tags. A <br> is simply a line break, but keeps in the same "paragraph". It's really a matter of convention, but I prefer the way Frontpage handles it. Not that I am endorsing Frontpage - I personally use either Homesite or Dreamweaver, depending on how much I feel like getting my hands in the code. Anyway, if you want Frontpage to go down only one line (e.g. use a <br>), try hitting "shift+enter".

Yes!!! it works!!! Thank you!

Cheers for that dude smile That was really beginning to get on my nerves.